"Arnhem" Arnhem by ranger49
Arnhem Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 1,180 photos
We arrived on a cool April morning after sailing overnight on M.S.Johann Strauss from Amsterdam.
River cruising is an easy, slow and gentle way to travel and after a good night's sleep we were up early enough to watch the ship's passge through some of the locks on the lower Rhine as we approached Arnhem.
And enjoy the cheery waves of welcome from people walking or cycling along the riverside path.
This is one of the easier lockes we traversed. Some seemed to have nothing between ship and the gate but a cat's whiscker and the warning not to lean out over the water when in a lock was very necessary!
Our Plan was not to take an organised tour in Arnhem but to do our own thing. We had hoped to see the C15th church of St Eusibius - only a short walk from the quay where our ship was berthed, mid way between Nelson Mandela Bridge and the John Frost Bridge.
Unfortunately we learned as we arrived that it was currently closed for renovations. But we walked into town anyway and saw the tell-tale scaffolding and hoardings that concealed it from view.
No chance of taking the lift to the top of the tower that day - but under the low cloudy sky there would have been little chance of seeing the promised panoramic view that morning.
So - a walk round the shops and interesting side streets but - disappointment number two - some shops are closed all day on a Monday others open after lunch.
Nothing for it but to get on with our main objective of the day - a visit to Oosterbeck and the Airborne Museum!
We could not leave Oosterbeek without a visit to the Cemetery so after our visit to the Hartensten Museum and lunch we... more travel advice
If this simple establishment could talk what a tale it could tell! A place providing hospitality to visitors has stood... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Arnhem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arnhem, green, green and more green"
- "These Arnhem pages are dedicated to Paul & Family"
- ""Garden City of the Rhine""
- "ARNHEM --A REAL GEM"
- "Five days alone in Arnhem..."
- "A visit I will never forget..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arnhem
- Hotels in Arnhem
- Transportation in Arnhem
- Nightlife in Arnhem
- Restaurants in Arnhem
- Shopping in Arnhem
- Warnings and Dangers in Arnhem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arnhem
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Arnhem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arnhem
Photos in ArnhemSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue