"History and beautiful Scenery" Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny by ranger49
Abergavenny Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 217 photos
At last I am getting to my home town page.
Abergavenny is a good place to live - an historic market town with a Norman Church and lots of history. We are surrounded by mountains and fields, and the lovely river Usk runs through the town.
I first came here as a visitor 50 years ago and it has changed quite a bit since that time, and in the almost 20 years since I came to lve here.
The road lay-out into and around the town is so different I can hardly remember how it was.
The main street is not blessed with a single name but (confusingly for visitors) consists of Cross Street, High Street and Frogmore Street.
It is along here that change is most apparent many old businesses have long gone, those that remain have to compete with out of town and edge of town shopping centres - the 20th century blight of old market and small country towns.
In the place of many of the old shops there are several innovative ,welcome additions offering specialist goods plus many charity or "thrift" shops and the inevitable chain street stores and "cheap" shops though good old Woolies - Woolworth was the first major casualty of the recession .
We have a weekly market conducted both inside the Victorian Market Hall and in the surrounding streets. Coach loads of people come from near and far for this weekly event.
On Fridays a"Butter" market takes over the Market Hall for the sale of mainly local produce, a Farmer's Market is there twice monthly and in between Antiques and Craft fairs take place.
The cattle market at the back of the Market Hall is held on the same day as the weekly market so Tuesdays are always very busy days.
For how much longer remains to be seen for the Local Authority has proposed plans for the closure of the cattle market and the redevelopment of the site which been hotly debated for over 5 years in the face of fierce local opposition to the scheme.
For a nearby local attraction seeTretower Court and Castle
These gardens have beautiful views of Castle Meadows, the River Usk with the Blorenge beyond,and are tucked away off... more travel advice
There was always - or I should say for a very long time - there was a wonderful antiquarian , second hand bookshop in... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Abergavenny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "History and beautiful Scenery"
- "A Great town"
- "Y Fenni"
- "Abergavenny / y Fenni"
- "Abergavenny a great little town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abergavenny
- Hotels in Abergavenny
- Transportation in Abergavenny
- Nightlife in Abergavenny
- Restaurants in Abergavenny
- Shopping in Abergavenny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abergavenny
- 13 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Abergavenny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abergavenny
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue