"History and beautiful Scenery" Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny by ranger49

Abergavenny Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 217 photos

A nice place to live in

At last I am getting to my home town page.
Abergavenny is a good place to live - an historic market town with a Norman Church and lots of history. We are surrounded by mountains and fields, and the lovely river Usk runs through the town.
I first came here as a visitor 50 years ago and it has changed quite a bit since that time, and in the almost 20 years since I came to lve here.
The road lay-out into and around the town is so different I can hardly remember how it was.
The main street is not blessed with a single name but (confusingly for visitors) consists of Cross Street, High Street and Frogmore Street.
It is along here that change is most apparent many old businesses have long gone, those that remain have to compete with out of town and edge of town shopping centres - the 20th century blight of old market and small country towns.
In the place of many of the old shops there are several innovative ,welcome additions offering specialist goods plus many charity or "thrift" shops and the inevitable chain street stores and "cheap" shops though good old Woolies - Woolworth was the first major casualty of the recession .

We have a weekly market conducted both inside the Victorian Market Hall and in the surrounding streets. Coach loads of people come from near and far for this weekly event.
On Fridays a"Butter" market takes over the Market Hall for the sale of mainly local produce, a Farmer's Market is there twice monthly and in between Antiques and Craft fairs take place.

The cattle market at the back of the Market Hall is held on the same day as the weekly market so Tuesdays are always very busy days.
For how much longer remains to be seen for the Local Authority has proposed plans for the closure of the cattle market and the redevelopment of the site which been hotly debated for over 5 years in the face of fierce local opposition to the scheme.

For a nearby local attraction seeTretower Court and Castle

• Intro Updated Mar 25, 2014

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2014 at 1:25 AM

We used to travel through Abergavenny to our family holidays in north Wales and when we reached it we knew we were nearly at our destination after the long drive from London. We used to sing a song, "Taking a trip down to Abergavenny .." Now I'm wondering if that was a real song or something my mother made up???

But we never stopped here, so how nice now to discover the town through your lovely page! The shops you describe are just the sort I would hope to find here, and the Food Festival sounds wonderful :-)

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

What a great page! You live in a nice place!

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Lovely reading about Abergavenny! Was there for about 10 days during October, 1989 for a computer course. We (8/9 international students), attached by the British Council for a 3-months to Regent's College, London, for a System Analysis course, travelled to Abergavenny by a very comfortable bus.

Beautiful memories! Thank You!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Would not mind staying at The Angel...sounds cosy

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Think I must treat myself to a trip some time soon. I'm in Cardiff again for a while.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Old fashioned service is hard to find these days, nice to read you still have some there!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Ive never stopped by to look here...Id love to visit Abergavenny some day Barbara..I love small country towns..trust you enjoyed a nice Christmas Barbara...Best wishes for the New Year coming @!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Barbara, Excellent page! Your home town is lovely!

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Hi Barbara, thanks for your lovely comments on my Skipton page. I really enjoyed reading about your hometown..again. Best wishes, Vicki

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Barbara, The Food Festival sounds like my cup of tea. The Welsh Cawl at the Tithe Barn sounds inviting. Nice tips and photos. Take care, Larry

ranger49 Used To Live Here!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Abergavenny

Have you been to Abergavenny?

Latest Activity in Abergavenny