"Carmarthenshire" Carmarthen by ranger49

Carmarthen Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 146 photos

The County not just the Town

The county of Carmarthenshire in West Wales is one of the larger Counties of this small country - a land of geographical contrasts - mountains, rivers, lakes, coast - all reflected in the diverse scenery of the County.

Dramatic landscapes, beautiful river valleys, woodlands and ancient archeological remains and castles can all be found here.

It is a green and lush land where agriculture is still an important activity.

The county has less than 50 miles of coast but has been awarded over 40 Blue Flag beaches.

Steeped in history - King Arthur and Merlin left their traces here; later, the Normans quickly made their way to the area from Battle and Hastings after William the Conqueror's successful invasion and within 30 years built the castle at Carmarthen in 1094.

Now the County town, administrative centre and principal shopping place Carmarthen is served by a mainline train lines to Swansea, Cardiff,London the north of England and Scotland. There is also a national coach service on which all residents of Wales over 60 may travel free anywhere in the country.

Like so much of Wales, Carmarthenshire is a very popular, but largely undiscovered, holiday destination. Sometimes known as the Garden of Wales it has attractions that appeal to people of all ages and interests - not least the National Botanic Garden of Wales and the restored lost garden at Aberglasney.

Where is it?

On this outline map of Wales you can see Carmarthenshire as the bright green area in the south west.

• Pros:Something here for everyone
  • Cons:It may rain from time to time
  • In a nutshell:Mountains, rivers, forests, castles and golden sandy beaches.
  • Last visit to Carmarthen: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2011

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Hello Barbara, my activity on VT is still at lowest because I just woke up of my winter sleep!
    I followed you in your travel through Carmarthen close to my so much liked Glamorgan with Barry.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 3:30 AM

So much green! Never been to Wales but it certainly looks inviting.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Such a beautiful page as usual Barbara. I'd really like to visit Wales, hopefully I will some day. Meanwhile I can enjoy your country through your lovely pages. Thank you.

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Hi Barbara,Thanks for popping by. I'm hoping the weather will be a little less changeable for our camping weekend, fingers crossed. I always love reading your Carmarthenshire tips by the way; I still haven't got round to doing my Aberglasney gdns tips :-(

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2010 at 10:18 AM

What an absolutely lovely tour! The Botanic Gardens are beautiful! Nice page!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I have read some fiction about the time the English invaded Wales and was so sad that so much of the story was true. How cruel were our ancestors. Maybe we are still??

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM

What a wonderful and colorful country. I really hope to get there one day. I learned that Welch people are the "original" inhabitants of the country after invasions of Anglo SAxons, Normans, etc. The culture remains strong.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Interesting tip about Wallace. A newly built Botanic Garden must be fascinating and highly informative. Superb red chard!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM

What a great botanic garden this is! Nice page and photo's!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 1:39 PM

A very informative page with beaut photos! Loved the extremely colourful displays at Aberglasney Gardens! I recently watched a great 3-part TV series on Darwin that covered Alfred Russel Wallace's independent efforts in evolution. Happy New Year!

ranger49 Visits Here Frequently!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Carmarthen

Have you been to Carmarthen?

Latest Activity in Carmarthen