"Carmarthenshire" Carmarthen by ranger49
Carmarthen Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 146 photos
The county of Carmarthenshire in West Wales is one of the larger Counties of this small country - a land of geographical contrasts - mountains, rivers, lakes, coast - all reflected in the diverse scenery of the County.
Dramatic landscapes, beautiful river valleys, woodlands and ancient archeological remains and castles can all be found here.
It is a green and lush land where agriculture is still an important activity.
The county has less than 50 miles of coast but has been awarded over 40 Blue Flag beaches.
Steeped in history - King Arthur and Merlin left their traces here; later, the Normans quickly made their way to the area from Battle and Hastings after William the Conqueror's successful invasion and within 30 years built the castle at Carmarthen in 1094.
Now the County town, administrative centre and principal shopping place Carmarthen is served by a mainline train lines to Swansea, Cardiff,London the north of England and Scotland. There is also a national coach service on which all residents of Wales over 60 may travel free anywhere in the country.
Like so much of Wales, Carmarthenshire is a very popular, but largely undiscovered, holiday destination. Sometimes known as the Garden of Wales it has attractions that appeal to people of all ages and interests - not least the National Botanic Garden of Wales and the restored lost garden at Aberglasney.
On this outline map of Wales you can see Carmarthenshire as the bright green area in the south west.
- Pros:Something here for everyone
- Cons:It may rain from time to time
- In a nutshell:Mountains, rivers, forests, castles and golden sandy beaches.
This ancient village lacks a VT destination listing of its own so creeps in here to assert its claim for a visit. There... more travel advice
The UK release on 25 9/09 of Jon Amiel’s Film “Creation” which I look forward to seeing, is reviving awareness of... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Carmarthen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the land manners forgot"
- "Short stay at Carmarthen"
- "Carmarthen South Wales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carmarthen
- Hotels in Carmarthen
- Transportation in Carmarthen
- Restaurants in Carmarthen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carmarthen
- 19 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Carmarthen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carmarthen
- Posted in Travel Dover Forum "Re: Dover sightseeing buses"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Carmarthen tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aberglasney Traditional Winter Fair"
- Wrote a Review The ancient Village and Mill of CENARTH in Carmarthen Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Carmarthen Travel Page "Carmarthenshire"
Photos in CarmarthenSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue