"Elvington - North Yorkshire" Elvington by ranger49

Elvington Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 30 photos

Where? Not far from York.

Elvington - I had not heard of it until I picked up a couple of leaflets in Pickering Tourist Office. I nearly put them back - but knew my husband would love a visit to the Yorkshire Air Museum. I have yet to meet a little boy who does not start drawing aeroplanes as soon as he can hold a pencil and John has never lost his interest in aviation, and particularly the part it played in WW2 . My Dad worked during the war on Lancaster bombers for A.V.Roe - Avros - as it was known -it would be interesting to see one of those if they had one .John's Dad's work involved the fabrication of the Mulberry Harbour used in the Normandy Landings in 1944 and both had served in WW1

So we set off to Elvington, a village 7 or 8 miles SE of York . Traffic was very heavy as we drove down the A64 on a Bank Holiday Saturday - mostly going in the direction of Castle Howard and York.
As soon as we turned off at the sign for Elvington we found ourselves on a quiet country lane bordered by farmland. We missed a turn and found ourselves in Elvington village which has a Green,a neat little hall and a not very old looking but attractive church, and a pub
Village Inn A real country village, but we did not have time to stop and explore so retraced our path to the entrance to the Air Museum.

We discovered that 10 days before our visit a party of 5 French veterans had visited the airfield they flew from to participate in the Normandy Landings 65 years before
Press Report

French Squadrons based in Elvington

On the way I looked again at the leaflets - in English and in French - and thought it might not be too bad there were lots of things to see other than aeroplanes as well as a café and a shop. But I had a book and would find somewhere to read - if I found it boring.
At the entrance to the Museum we were greeted warmly by a Volunteer who took our entance money and sold us a Visitor Guide Book. Looking about as we made our way to the car park I saw what looked to me like bits of aircraft and a memorial that reminded me of something else I had seen in Normandy
Memorial in France

My book remained in my bag all day and many hours passed before we could tear ourselves away from no ordinary village museum. So much of our life experience has taken place during the times and events recorded here. An American visitor with whom we spoke described it as “the best he had seen anywhere in the world.”

I know that some people object to separate Tips about the same place but I make no apology for doing this here. In such a comprehensice historical collection there are many components so those of interest to the reader can be selected - or ignored - according to personal interests..

• Last visit to Elvington: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM

What a wonderful museum you found! It is so interesting, I think anybody would enjoy their time here. Interesting seeing the "happy men" going off to war, and the old posters, great page!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Another great little page of yours. I have never heard about Elvington, but for me it looks like almost every English guy seems to be interested in the WWII planes.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If I ever make it up to Thornaby or Stockton-On-Tees area I'm making a point to stopover here..The museum seems a "must" to see..I can imagine the contents of the letters on the "wall"...emotional and thought provoking..I'm sure.Thank you Barbara..

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Good updates on this page. I can understand why you found this museum so very interesting. I like the literary connection too. And the 'keep mum' picture- so much went on that we tend to forget about in the modern new world.

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Elvington

Have you been to Elvington?

Latest Activity in Elvington