"Llanrhaeadr-ym-mochnant" Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant by ranger49

Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos

Pistyll Rhaeadr - One of the 7 wonders of Wales -

- and 60feet higher than Niagara.

We had gone to north Wales to visit my brother. We should have all been setting off for Crete to meet up with our sister and her husband flying in from California the following week.
But my bro' was quite poorly and due to undergo major heart surgery in 4 days time.. The conversation turned from abandoned travel plans to future and past travels.
He would not believe I had no childhood recollection of THE Waterfall where, he said, we had been taken by Dad so many times. To jolt my memory he insisted on driving us there without delay.

Not like the Samara Gorge

So that is how I came to be walking up a mountainside next to the path of a waterfall instead of down a dry river bed in Cret/
We stopped first in the village at a pub - I think it was the Plough - but it was hot and smokey so we strolled around and bought some sandwiches in a village shop and ate them outside on a bench.

I remember the village as one of those that typify so many old, rural Welsh villages. A mishmash of architectural styles from traditional sturdy stone, white-washed brick and stone and the deadly rough cast, or pebble dash facing; neat flowers-bedecked fronts and pretty gardens alongside neglected and decaying plots.
Then we set off for the Waterfall; the valley narrowed as we followed the signs. There was an unusual "experiential" camping ground that seemed to belong to the place - the waterfall is on privately owned land - and a large car park is provided.
There were also some nice old-fashioned looking tea rooms and a very good plant stall.
I don't remember having to buy an entrance ticket but there may have been a box for donations at the gated entrance to the walk up to the Falls.

After only a few steps I could see what a steep climb it was; we were all concerned about the pace at which bro' set off. This must be the only time I have ever known him give up but he suddenly announced he was going no further, had already done it once that week with his son, so would wait for us.

All's well that ends well

It was a lovely day and the scenery spectacular but I think we all had our minds on the "invalid" so completed our viewing and started to descend - only to meet coming up towards us half-way.

Dad did take us to many places in north Wales but I am sure this was my first visit and well worth it even in these unusual circumstances.

The "invalid" made a rapid, full recovery from quadruple by-pass surgery and 12 days later we all drove to the Gironde and had our family reunion there.

Waterfall

• Last visit to Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM

A really beautiful waterfall, worth the hard slog! As for the location, have no idea how to pronounce that!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant

Have you been to Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant?

Latest Activity in Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant