"St David's Pembrokeshire" Saint Davids by ranger49

Saint Davids Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 58 photos

Cathedral City in a Village

The City of St David's located in the south west of Wales within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, is the size of a village and has many of the characteristics of a village - overlaid by the importance of its Cathedral and the activities that emanate from it.

It has been popular as a family holiday destination for as long as I can remember, not only because of the 13th century Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace but for the beautiful coastline and beaches which surround the village.
The experience of walking the coastal path - particularly in springtime when wild flowers are at their best attracts many walkers to the area.

Pembrokeshire is a county that attracts artists and craft makers to make their home there and open studios and galleries. Their importance to the cultural life and economy of the neighbourhood is recognised in the exhibition gallery now available within the Cathedral.

The musical life of the Cathedral is reflected by the many concerts which take place there throughout the year and every July it becomes a major venue for some of the principal concerts of the Fishguard Music Festival.

So it is because of the Cathdral that this little village enjoys City status - which was lost through administrative changes in the 19th century but conferred upon it by Queen Elixabeth 11 in 1994.

The religious life and activities of the Cathedral as “village church” stretch out in to the community attracting visitors from all over the world.

For information about admission times etc and more photographs, please see my General Tip on this Page.

For a detailed history and account of the Cathedral today see:-

• Last visit to Saint Davids: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2011

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2012 at 4:22 AM

What a lovely place! I'm planning to visit Wales next year, it seems that's a place not to be missed!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
      Nov 3, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Angela do let me know if you think I might be of help in planning your visit next year and we would be delighted to welcome you to our town.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Barbara, fabulous page here. I really love Pembrokeshire. Unfortunately I missed Saint Davids with its magnificent cathedral on my trip through this lovely part of Wales.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM

The Pembrookshire looks fabulous and also has such history involved. Maybe we get there in a few years

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Beautiful! Love the Cathedral, the ruins and all the Daffodils, wish I could still grow them, they are one of my favorites!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I really do need to get to Wales one of these days, I don't suppose I get a new country for it though but it's still a glaring omission on my travel map!

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I'm looking forward to visiting St Davids in a few days, looking forward to Friday aswell.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2010 at 3:01 AM

The new OrielyParc certainly sounds like a well-designed and attractive building. Great that there was a group of primary schoolchildren having an educational session with a brilliant young teacher while you were there.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Superb cathedral!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I must send your page along to our new member Tom81. He's from Wales, and I'm waiting for his pages to be built. Thanks for the intro.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM

OrielyParc seems to be quite an interesting addition to Saint Davids! I'm always amazed by things like the Bishop's Palace - the amount of time and effort that went into it! Nice looking countryside too!

ranger49 Visits Here Frequently!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Saint Davids

Have you been to Saint Davids?

Latest Activity in Saint Davids