Alhama de Granada Things to Do Tips by ranger49
Alhama de Granada Things to Do: 4 reviews and 14 photos
Los Molinos & Vegetable Patches.
Out - at the top of the village and finally on the edge of the ridge, looking down we found los Molinos, ancient buildings originally connected to the mills that used the waters of the river for grinding cereals and harvesting the vegetables planted in the rich fertile soil.
All this area - altitude 900m at the Pass, was, millions of years ago, submergd below sea-level and continues to produce abundant harvests from the alluvial soil..
Clearly laid out allotments or vegetable patches could be seen. We wondered who tended them and enjoyed their produce. As we gazed down on these apparently abandoned, derelict buildings suddenly, from one, a figure emerged and set to work on his patch. Then another and another...
Over the next few years we returned several times along this route and each time the smaller buildings seem to be fewer. It is five years since we were last there. There were signs of second home ownership, some improvements in the infrastucture - paved roads and pavements. But local agricultural activity seemed to have declined. I hope the big old mill has been rescued - or as a French friend would say "arrangé".
ranger49's Related Pages
Alhama de Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alhama de Granada"
- "'An unsung gem' - Rough Guide - Alhama de Granada"
- "A Town of Thermal Baths"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Soldier Key Hotels
- Bangi Hotels
- Haderslev Hotels
- Potosí Hotels
Badges & Stats in Alhama de Granada
- 1 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Alhama de Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alhama de Granada
Photos in Alhama de GranadaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue