"Comillas - an ancient village" Comillas by ranger49
Comillas Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 121 photos
We were spending a couple of nights at Santillana del Mar before heading south because so many of the roads and passes we had planned to travel were closed - it was the middle of January.
Staying in the old Gil Blas Parador was no hardship and we made some drives along the coast to make best use of the time.
The weather was mainly raw and cold, with grey, cloudy skies.
So it was on such a day we made our way to Comillas - the guide book said it was worth a visit to see an early example of Gaudi's work - a "Folly" -a commission he had underatken on behalf of a wealthy client.
In a different guide book we read it then housed a very expensive restaurant called El Caprichio" - so we went to have a look.
As we drove towards the old village centre I spotted a sign and called out - too late - No cars beyond here! - at least that was my translation.
I think it must have been the correct one too for after only a very few yards the road turned into the narrowest street I had even seen before. There was nothing to do, said my interpid husband, until we either came out of it, or f.ound a place to turn.
So with the wing mirrors scraping the old stone walls on either side, and my heart in my mouth, we eventually emerged and found a 20th century carpark.
The light was fading fast as we began to retrace our path on foot.
Eventually we found the Folly, surrounded by overgrown neglected shrubbery and trees. It looked forlorn and out of place on that gloomy day and there was no evidence of restaurant there.
We have been back more than once, but in April, and saw it looking very different in the spring sunshine - if only I could find those photos now!
ranger49's Related Pages
Comillas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Comillas: city of the Marquis."
- "Comillas, the town of the archbishops"
- "COMILLAS EL CAPRICHO DE GAUDI"
- "Gaudi and Much More!"
- "Religion, University & Gaudi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Comillas
- Transportation in Comillas
- Restaurants in Comillas
- Shopping in Comillas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Comillas
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (163)
Have you been to Comillas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Comillas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue