"Fornells - a village by the sea in Menorca" Fornells by ranger49

Fornells Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 16 photos

Fishing and familiy boats

Several people recommended that we visit Fornells, describing it as one of the prettiest, coastal villages on the island. Somehow, having followed the map carefully we must have taken a wrong turning and ended up on what looked like any modern, charcaterless Urbanización.
Most of the low rise dwellings were shuttered up for the winter, a few holiday makers outside a small bar watched as we entered the estate and immediately turned about to leave.
By now we had realised where we made the mistake and retaced our path to drive down beside the long, large bay, harbour and village of Fornells.

A picturesque place in a picturesque Island

We found a large car park on the harbour and although it was late September it was quite busy, but not so that the village seemed overcrowded, It is very pleasant to have a wander around the palm tree lined harbour and watch the boats coming and going - or just staying still - in the harbour. Even a quick glance over the indicated that pleasure boating and water sports are now more important here than fishing though a number of small fishing were moored alongside the quay and harbour wall.5s*

Just messing around in a boat.

When we had a boat I was convinced that my husband spent more time just messing about with it than sailing it! There was aleays something that need adjusting, fixing or painting! And as I looked around the harbour still it seems this is still a very popular past-time.
After a walk around to view the shops - mainly typical seaside gift, souvenir and summer clothing -and choose a restaurant to return to for lunch after more sight seeing we headed up Torre de Fornells

• Pros:A nicely old fashioned, pretty seaside village
  • Cons:None for us but likely to be busier in high season
  • In a nutshell:Not to be confused with Plays den Fornells!
  • Last visit to Fornells: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2011

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Lovely little page about this gem of Menorca.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
      May 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Thanks again Holger and thanks for visiting my Fornells page. Our last visit was in the month of September during a late heat wave and I want to make a 3rd visit to this lovely island - perhaps when I get my new knee!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Fornells

Have you been to Fornells?

Latest Activity in Fornells