"Jerez - Home of Sherry" Jerez de la Frontera by ranger49
Jerez de la Frontera Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 582 photos
We had travelled further south from San Pedro de Alcantara to Cadiz to escape the bitterly cold wind and rain that greeted us on a late February holiday. It worked - once in Cadiz the sun came out so after staying on for a couple of days we travelled back via Jerez, Arcos, Grazelma and Ronda. It was a lovely route to follow with great places to stop awhile in.
Time was when sherry was a very popular drink in England - many of Shakespeares' characters were rather keen on it! and I was once told it is the classical drink to sip with tapas.
English importers formed strong ties with the local producers, some buying in to and marrying into established firms. Perhaps that explains why so many of the Spanish men walking around the Domecq Tower in the old town could be taken for English gentlemen - similar clothes and bearing and impeccable English accents.
Sherry seems to have gone out of fashion as an apritif these days but the shelves of wine merchants and supermarkets still offer a wide selection of the sherries from this part of Andalucia.
We wanted to visit a bodega of the producers but arrived as they closed for a loo..ng lunch!
There was a market on the morning of our visit and although we had missed the best of it there was a cheerful buzz and bustle about the old town,
ranger49's Related Pages
Jerez de la Frontera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!"
- "The Sherry Capital of the WORLD!"
- "Jerez de la Frontera"
- "Big City with a village soul"
- "Jerez de la Frontera - Bodegas, Horses, Heat ;-)"
- "FERIA DEL CABALLO 2006"
- "Jerez de la Frontera, Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerez de la Frontera
- Hotels in Jerez de la Frontera
- Transportation in Jerez de la Frontera
- Nightlife in Jerez de la Frontera
- Restaurants in Jerez de la Frontera
- Shopping in Jerez de la Frontera
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerez de la Frontera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerez de la Frontera
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (163)
Have you been to Jerez de la Frontera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerez de la Frontera
- Posted in Travel Dubrovnik Forum "Re: May - crowds?"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Jerez de la Frontera travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the Alcazar de Jerez and Arabic Baths about The Alcazar of Jerez in Jerez de la Frontera Things to Do
- updated a Jerez de la Frontera Travel Page "Jerez - Home of Sherry"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jerez - Home of Sherry"
Photos in Jerez de la FronteraSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue