"Mojacar - corner of enchantment" Mojácar by ranger49
Mojácar Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 71 photos
When we first went to Mojacar few of our family and friends had ever heard of it. Some thought it must be in Africa.
We knew it was one of the places that claims to be the birth place of Walt Disney, that many of the so-called spaghetti westerns were made in the nearby semi-desert - in fact the tiny Inn up in Mojacar Pueblo - the only place to stay -was host to John Wayne and other stars.
A friend, a bit younger than us remembered sleeping on the beach there on the Guru trail to India in the '60's.
Getting there was the first part of the adventure. We drove through France with overnight stops in Nantes and Agen in atrocious weather. As soon as we climbed the eastern tips of the Pyrenees and crossed the border into Spain the sky turned blue and we arrived at the Parador at Aiguablava in brilliant sunshine to celebrate our wedding anniversary on February 1st. We had booked a three night stop to explore the area - particularly the Greco-Romano site at Empuries before completing the journey.
Mountain springs provide a plentiful supply of water to the inhabitants of the old town. Throughout each day of the week vehicles lined up to fill their water containers from the fountains in the specially constructed, flower-bedecked Plaza.
There a few fascinating old shops scattered around the village, selling anything and everything from cheeses and ham to spanners and buckets. But all round the village there were signs of demolition and development - scaffolding and cranes galore. The ancient character od the old pueblo seemed to be altering before our eyes.
Village houses spread up and down and all around the village centre. The Mojacar Inn is here beside a large Balcon with blue and white tiled paving and matching benches. The view from the edge is what people come to see.
In this area we had the best and the worst holiday we have ever had. The worst was because of a dishonest landlord - but that is a tale for a travelogue one day.
This area was already being rapidly overdeveloped i.e. ruined ,when we were last there. If you want a beach holiday it's OK , a Spanish experience -explore the hinterland .
Some of the places we enjoyed visiting -
In spite of the oppressive over development that has taken place in the last few years you can still seek out the real... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Mojácar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WALT DISNEY WAS BORN HERE"
- "A short trip to Almeria......"
- "At the edge of "Sahara""
- "Mojacar - corner of enchantment"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mojácar
- Hotels in Mojácar
- Transportation in Mojácar
- Restaurants in Mojácar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mojácar
- 2 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (163)
Have you been to Mojácar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mojácar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue