"Seatown - a tiny "town" with quite a past!" Seatown by ranger49
Seatown Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos
This tiny coastal village is, like so much of Dorset, in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and also part of the Jurassic Coast which is a designated World Heritage Site.
Unless you have read your guide books, and use a good map you might not even know it is there and could easily miss it.
It is approached from the A35 in the village of Chideock via a narrow, very narrow in parts, winding lane.
You will pass picturesque stone, thatched cottages, farms and fields along the 3/4 mile journey to the beach.
There are a few slightly wider passing place but I would not like to meet a large lorry or a Land Rover pulling a big caravan on the way down or up!
Suddenly you are there and the valley opens out to reveal the beach, surrounded by cliffs
Chideock was once home to to gangs of smugglers including the daring, notorious Chideock Gang.
Their main targets were French ships caught in treacherous tides during stormy weather and stranded, with their valuable cargo, in the many inlets of the south west coast, of which Seatown was one.
It provided a great hiding place as well as a superb lookout on the top of the hill known as Golden Cap.
Here thousands of kegs of brandy were stored and concealed secret hiding places on the cliffs and in the homes of local fishermen who regularly appeared in Chideock caught on account of their illegal “catch”.
Customs Officers patrolled the coastal path and a Coast Guard was installed in a cottage located high in the village. These policing services continued until around 1920 but the coast guard cottage is now a desirable holiday home in the village which provides a welcome haven for visitors all year round.
What better after an invigorating walk than to take some rest and refreshment at a typical sea side Pub? The Anchor Inn... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Seatown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seatown - a tiny "town" with quite a past!"
- "Test Intro For Sea Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seatown
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Seatown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seatown
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue