"Tintagel" Top 5 Page for this destination Tintagel by ranger49

Tintagel Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 163 photos

The Castle, cliffs, caves and whirlpools

" The Past, it has been said , is a foreign country and there are many ways of approaching it." (Quoted in the English Heritage Guide to the History of the Castle).

On my first visit to this bit of the past, 40 years ago, most people believed that all there was to know about the legendary castle of King Arthur and his Knights, Merlin and the round Table had been discovered.

As we got closer to the site the more it seemed that it was 3 or 4, perhaps more, times bigger than the place I remembered. I thought I must have been mad to bring three children to this wild place.

Since that time a combination of improved methodology in historical research, more sophisticated and sensitive archaeological techniques and the natural disaster of a fire on the island in 1983 uncovered hitherto unknown buildings.
The realisation that the peat which had burned away had concealed so much resulted in a new detailed historical and archaeological survey followed by excavations.
A visit to the enlarged site is in fact much safer now that steps and handrails and hand ropes are in place

For me this was in many ways like a first visit to the site with much more to see and absorb.

Picnic first .

At the end of the trail from the Village carpark on the main road you first approach the exhibition and information centre, the film studio, shop and toilets (partly seen on right in this picture )

We went on and spotted a grassy, flat shelf (above and to left of the waterfall) where we had our picnic before starting what looked like a strenuous climb to the point from which the picture was taken.

The Village of Tintagel

My memory of a late 1960's visit to Tintagel is of a far less touristy place than we saw on our most recent visit .

I remember seeing the Old Post Office - but not going inside. I had three young children with me then and they were much more interested in seeing King Arthur’s Castle than an “old house”!

But that was where we were heading this time - just 2 sets of grandparents on a days outing.

We avoided the tourist tat in the village, gritted our teeth at yet another parking fee and went first to see the old post office, before taking our picnic along the path to the bridge over to the island and the Castle.

• Last visit to Tintagel: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2008

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM

The coast looks beautiful around Tintagel. I hope to visit later this year.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
      Jan 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I'm sure you will love it. Avoid August if you can:)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM

What fantastic scenery around here. Your photo's are excellent!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

It was wow! when I saw that old post office. What a beautiful interesting building.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Wonderful tips and pictures of Tintagel :-) Very useful to know about the guidebook that is sold there. I hope to travel to Cornwall next year!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Beautiful place! Visiting this area, though not Tintagel specifically, in the 1980's. Still have my Tintagel pottery from the visit!

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Wow Looks fantastic, i will put it on my must visit list!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Visited Tintagel back in 1992 or 3 on an organized bus tour. I was drowning in romantic, historical dreams of King Arthur and Merlin. Utterly overcome. Thanks for the good memories.

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I love your pictures. We had such a good time visiting Tintagel. I'd love to go back.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2008 at 4:12 AM

That looks great there, hope to go there next year! Merry Christmas!

• ardnas67's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2008 at 4:48 AM

this summer we're going to visit Cornwall, and also have planned a trip to Tintagel (with 3 children!) I'm now reading books of king Arthur, very nice greetings from Holland

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM

What an interesting castle and also the old post-office looks great, built of stones !

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Tintagel

Have you been to Tintagel?

Latest Activity in Tintagel