"A portrait of the Seychelles" Mahé by ranger49

Mahé Travel Guide: 215 reviews and 787 photos

A cruise in the Indian Ocean - First stop Mahé

Our visit to the Seychelles was the first port of call on a cruise that started from Mombasa.
It began in a very leisurely manner with an overnight flight from London and a very early arrival in Mombasa from where we were taken to a beach hotel for a swim, breakfast and a rest in the day room provided for each guest.
Refreshed and ready to go we were transferred to our ship for embarcation and lunch.
Already the excitement and buzz of being on a different continent was tangible. So much to take in - the heat at sunrise and the mosquitoes, the sound, smells, colours and the sunsets.
Exploring our ship did not take too long - at only 5,600 tons she was a yacht-like, traditional ship with teak decks, lots of polished wood and gleaming brass, carrying a maximum of 200 passengers.On this cruise she carried only 180.

Our suite was spacious and very comfortable. Our 6 dining companions were interesting and congenial and made perfect company.
With two and a half days at sea before first land fall we had plenty of time to meet and get to know many of the other passengers and enjoy our floating hotel. The onboard programme lacked any "educational" content but there were informal talks with slide shows about the places we would visit, and plenty of low key leisure activities - deck games etc for the energetic.

The picture post card beaches

The beaches that we went to on our shore excursions were all - and more - that we had pictured from popular advertisements - think Bounty Bars - and brochures.
Usually deserted with glistening white sand, for us northerners the sea water was too hot!
But it was always good to be dropped off for a dip and a rest before returning to the ship at the end of a very full day of touring and sight seeing

Watch for the "green flash" at sunset

We had chosen to eat at the later time of 8.30pm which meant the deck was fairly quiet when the early diners had left.
Just to watch the changing colours as the sun sank was pleasure enough; but we were told about a phenomenon that occurs in latitudes close to the Equater when, at the point the sun finally sinks below the horizon, a brilliant green flash can be seen.
Some people saw it, I thought I might have - but wondered if it was just auto-suggestion! It was a in any case a most beautiful time of the day.

• Pros:As beautiful as everyone had told us.
  • Cons:High humidity
  • In a nutshell:I'm so glad to have seen it before it was too developed.
  • Last visit to Mahé: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Memories ! my photos &/or slides have disappeared amongst the cartons. but i visited before rene Albert took over from the Playboy, who was in exile in the UK, some decades back it was ;-)))

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Delightful account of your journey here. Wondering which ship and cruise line you were on. All sea journeys are interesting to me!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
      May 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Thanks Sylvia. Sadly the tour operator who owned Royal Star went into decline and ceased operating about 3 or4 years ago. I read that the ship had been scrapped, This is a description from an old web page that I retrieved
      africansafariclub.com/html/m...
      It really was a lovely little ship!

• starship's Profile Photo
      May 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM

When I hear a ship has been scrapped it always makes me sad. We were on the S.S. Norway (previously the S.S. France) some years ago before she went to the shipbreakers, and it was like losing a friend. Your ship & trip sounded wonderful.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Sounds like you had a pleasant cruise to "the smallest Capital in the world".

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 4:15 PM

The Seychelles came to my attention when William and Kate honeymooned there earlier this year. Interesting about the "flash" of light at sunset. When we are in Panama I will watch for it - we didn't see it in Costa Rica earlier this year.

ranger49

“Cherish the past. Adorn the present. Construct for the future - Clough Williams Ellis”

Badges & Stats in Mahé