"Beaumont en Auge" Beaumont-en-Auge by ranger49
Beaumont-en-Auge Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 20 photos
Separated from its smaller neighbour - Beuvron en Auge - by only about 12 miles, the ancient town of Beaumont en Auge lacks some of the more instant appeal of that popular, better known picturesque tourist attraction.
It is set on a ridge some 90 meters high from which there are panoramic views over the countryside towards a stertch of coast between Houlgate and Deauville.
We arrived on a slightly dull afternoon but were just in time to catch the last sunlight lighting up the autumnal foliage on one of the most famous gourmet restaurants in the region.
Plenty of examples of the lovely timbered houses of Normandy are to be found here. Some are now small studio/art galleries, others serve as shops and estate agents It looked as though some had recently been restored - with a few still on the waiting list - perhaps to be bought as second homes. Apparently Beaumont has gained popularity amongst Parisians looking for a second home at lower prices than those in expensive, nearby
Suprisingly little about the town is to be found in any of my three Normandy Guide books - The Rough Guide and petit futé have no mention of it at all and the Green Michelin just three lines.
But even on an afternoon wander around the old town it was possible to learn quite a lot from the various illustrated Information plaques .
It's history goes back many centuries; today the most visible evidence ii that of the 11th C foundation of the Abbey, the establishement of a national Military Academy in pre-revolutionary times and links with the famous scientist,mathematician and astonomer, Laplace. The Parish Hall is named after him.
The town suffered after the Revolution with the closure of the monastery and decline of the Abbey. It became famous again as a centre for the production of optical instruments and kaleidoscopes about which - more to come.
Now it seems the community is dedicated to the restoration of the town, its ancient Abbey and possibilities as a worthwhile stop on the Route de Cidre
Note the Plaque on the wall at the side of the Church - the arched entrance below leads to an open space ( immaculately kept lawns and gardens when we were there/ At the edge the ground slopes steeply away providing a panoramic view towards the coast. Unfortunately we were there on an overcast day with showers and brief interludes and bright sunshine.
- Pros:I liked this interesting attractive town and its location on a ridge with with lovely views,
- Cons:In desparate need of funding to restore the Church.!
- In a nutshell:A real little town not over run with tourists .
However good your command of the language of the country you are visiting you may come across dishes on a restaurant... more travel advice
We followed our noses and followed the short alley below Robert Bertrans' Plaque and found the viewpoint and another... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Beaumont-en-Auge Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Beaumont-en-Auge
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (166)
Have you been to Beaumont-en-Auge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaumont-en-Auge
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Driving license"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Beaumont-en-Auge tips
- Wrote a Review Regional dishes with unfamilar names - be brave! in Beaumont-en-Auge Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shops in the town"
- updated a Beaumont-en-Auge Travel Page "Beaumont en Auge"
Photos in Beaumont-en-AugeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue