"Camaret-sur-mer" Camaret-sur-Mer by ranger49
Camaret-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 129 photos
In nearly all the places we have visited in Brittany (and other parts of France) in recent years we have noticed these attractive ceramic plaques with a sepia toned picture or drawing of the location and a snippet of local history.
This one comments on the very sheltered position of its westerly harbour and how it was capable of providing safe harbour for 200 -300 sailing boats.
From 1939 it was regarded as the best fishing port for sardines and langoustines in the whole of Europe - if not the world. This trade continued here until the 1960's.
Then a series of disasters combined to change the European fishing industry - oil spillages and other environmental pollution, marine diseases and over-fishing, the mandatory introduction of fishing quotas all contributed to the depletion of fishing stocks.
Cameraet is still however an important fishing port specialising in spiny lobsters.
It has other claims to fame.
In the early 20th century artists like Boudin, Riviere and Derain were frequent visitors captivated by its special summer light and atmospheric sunsets.
I sometimes get a picture of a group of those now famous French artists wending there way round the coast and mountain resorts of France in search of light and success..
The poet St-Pol-Roux built his home here just up the hill overlooking the Bay where he met his tragic end in 1941.
If you walk down the Sillon, the natural dyke, which forms a natural quay at the end of the harbour you will pass the rotted and spidery remains of the hulls of old wooden shipping boats, and rusting sides of later steel built boats.
It a rather sad sight and a constant reminder of the cataclysmic changes in the lives of the men who still go down to the sea in ships to put fish on our tables.
In the background across the bay in the marina are the leisure boats that now shelter in the harbour and out of sight beyond, the new fishing port head quarters.
The whole of the sea frontage is dotted with bars,cafes, restaurants and hotels and a few shops including a mini-supermarket .
A larger Super-U supermarket is just around the corner not far from the Tourist Office.
A number of the cafes and hotels here have a free wi-fi hotspot which we did not use.
In this view the red awning is at Hotel le Styvel and the blue at Hotel Vauban.
- Pros:Safe harbour, great walks and plenty to see and do.
- Cons:None that affected me.
- In a nutshell:An ideal place for people of all ages and interests.
The first picture shows along the side wall the various displays in Da Vinci Code Exhibition which was showing in June... more travel advice
During the few days we had before the younger members of the family arrived we scouted around looking for the best... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Camaret-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Sea Beauty and Splendour"
- "Amazing Finistére ! Camaret sur Mer"
- "Boats and standing stones"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Camaret-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Camaret-sur-Mer
- Transportation in Camaret-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Camaret-sur-Mer
- Warnings and Dangers in Camaret-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Camaret-sur-Mer
- 13 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (166)
Have you been to Camaret-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camaret-sur-Mer
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: First time visitor to Cardiff..."
- Commented on one of ranger49's Camaret-sur-Mer tips
- updated a Camaret-sur-Mer Travel Page "Camaret-sur-mer"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit La Chapelle de Notre-Dame-de-Rocmadour."
- Wrote a Review Exhibition space in La Chapelle in Camaret-sur-Mer Things to Do
Photos in Camaret-sur-MerSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue