"Carentan - a town with a place in history" Carentan by ranger49
Carentan Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 39 photos
The War memorial in Place de la Republique
If you saw the TV series Band of Brothers you may recall the third episode that deals with the action to defend the Town that provided the link for the US forces between Utah Beach and Omaha Beach.
That town is Carentan .
It is the capital of the area known as Marais de Carentan and part of the vast Parc Naturel Regional des Marais du Cotentin et du Bessin.Here you will find wetlands, preserved under Napoleon from the encroaching sea through drainage and the construction of canals and dykes. This area is a natural haven for migrating birds and rare flora.
Today the port that was also created is now more of a pleasure marina but from the 1700's gave safe harbour to large trading ships.
The rich agricultural lands combined with trade established Carentan as a prosperous town set in tranquil fields on the estuary.
You can read elsewhere the full story of the destruction caused by Allied bombing in June 1944 in an attempt to oust the occupying Nazi forces. And the onland assault lead by a Regiments of the US 101st Airborne Division and G.I.s from Artillery culminating in fierce hand-to-hand fighting.
Many of the town's medieval and 17th and 18th century buildings escaped total destruction and it well woth stopping off here to take a look around.
When travelling via the port of Cherbourg we have, for many years stopped off here, to take a walk, pick up a light lunch or take away pizza and have an affection for its ancient and modern history and its contrast today of former splendours and less prosperous indicators.
We found this place almost by accident when looking for a place to park. As we took the turn we entered a lovely open... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Carentan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Carentan
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (166)
Have you been to Carentan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carentan
Photos in CarentanSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue