"Art in a mediaeval mountain village." Céret by ranger49
Céret Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 146 photos
On our first visit to Céret a cold March wind blew strongly through the bare, pollarded plane trees that line the central street -boulevard Maréchal Joffre. On this return visit on a sunny April day the trees were in leaf, the sun was shining through the leaves dappling everything with glints of sunshine.
It was not difficult to understand what it was about the light and ambience of this mediaeval Catalan town that attracted so many artists.
We glimpsed this artist's Patio as we strolled around the remains of the mediaeval walls of the town and down the narrow cobbled streets.
I found it quite hard to imagine what it would be like to live here. It seems, on one hand to be remote and different but at the same time very much a part of the 20th Century.
Judging from the windows of Estate Agencies it seems many English speaking in-comers are buying property there.
The Catalan influence of the region can be felt strongly in this lovely mountain town where the language is still used - and fiestas with bulls take place in summer months - not events I would want to be there for.
Céret developed when the Kings of Majorca ruled the land - you can see their castles in nearby Collioure and Perpignan.
Town walls with great gates were built as defences with substantial remains still to be seen to day.
The two Gateways into Céret , la porte de France faced north towards France, the other, la Porte d'Espagne, to the South and Spain.
Ceret was besieged many times in the following centuries and the walls were rebuilt several times before suffering their greatest damage under Napoléon.
- Pros:Picturesque, lots of art and history, very compact.
- Cons:I have been told it gets very crowded in summer.
This is a well established little cafe conveniently situated next to the Museum of Modern Art. We had excellent salads,... more travel advice
We travelled to Céret by car from Collioure where we were staying. It is about 17 miles and we left Collioure in bright... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Céret Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ceret - Cherry country."
- "Art in a mediaeval mountain village."
- "Ceret, a great day trip from Perpignan"
- "Quaint and Pretty"
- "WELCOME TO MY CéRET PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Céret
- Hotels in Céret
- Transportation in Céret
- Restaurants in Céret
- Shopping in Céret
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Céret
- 10 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Céret?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Céret
- Posted in Travel Nizwa Forum "Re: Looking for someone to share..."
- Commented on one of Coetju's Céret travel pages
- updated a Céret Travel Page "Art in a mediaeval mountain village."
- Uploaded a Photo to "NOT a TIP but Worth further research"
- Wrote a Review Next to the Museum of Modern Art in Céret Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue