"Collioure -Jewel of the Vermeille Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure by ranger49
Collioure Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 333 photos
Our first visit to Collioure was everything we had wanted from a winter holiday. Warm sunshine, relatively few tourists (not so good for the restaurant owners who were very quiet particularly in the evenings!).
We rented a tiny house in one of the cobbled streets . It was such a treat to walk out to do all our shopping in the village in real shops - two whole weeks without entering a supermarket. The twice weekly market Sunday and Wednesday morning) was excellent and the restaurants were all within a few minutes walk.
It was the most relaxing holiday we had had in years and we knew we wanted to go back - but would avoid high season when I suspect Collioure assumes a different identity.
We made a return visit in April 2008 after a very early (March 23) Easter Holiday.
Our original idea had been to arrive by train rather than to repeat a Bristol - Toulouse flight, and then hire a car.
Instead we made an extended trip and travelled with our car by ferry from Plymouth to Santander, and then drove across the border into France and across the foothills of the Pyrenees to Collioure - the travelling was another series of destinations and all part of the trip.
Our love for Collioure has not diminished.
It was busier, the weather was not as settled or as warm as it had been a month earlier last year, but more restaurants were open and we had an extra hour or more of daylight in which to enjoy seeking out new things to do and enjoy.
It is not surprising that this little bit of French coast has been such a magnet to painters. There are just so many pictures to be seen wherever you look.
"Going back" is something we do less and less as we get older but Collioure so captured our hearts that on this return visit we felt as excited as children returning to a favourite seaside holiday destination.
Nearby places to visit from Collioure -
Ceret, a mediaeval walled town with a world famous Museum of Modern Art.
Port Vendes - a busy working port, with fishing boats and a fish market, pleasure marina, and beaches. For self caterers - a big SuperU supermarket.
Banyuls sur Mer, the last French resort before the Spanish border with a wide sea front and picturesque village on the hillside.
For longer days out - Perpignan and Girona are doable
- Pros:A jewel of a place waiting to be discovered
- Cons:Am told it gets overcrowded in summer season
- In a nutshell:Natural beauty, history, art & literature combine in perfect harmony.
A walk around the quiet lanes above the town, a little way from the alleyways with shops and artist's galleries, makes a... more travel advice
This restaurant was highly recommended by previous tenants of our holiday cottage. It has a superb location and was a... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Collioure Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Collioure -Jewel of the Vermeille Coast"
- "Collioure - Cotlliure"
- "Collioure ... un site ravissant et unique !"
- " Collioure "
- "Collioure - Art and the ocean"
- "The Bay...of Collioure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Collioure
- Hotels in Collioure
- Transportation in Collioure
- Restaurants in Collioure
- Shopping in Collioure
- Warnings and Dangers in Collioure
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Collioure
- 17 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (167)
Have you been to Collioure?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Collioure
- Posted in Travel Costa Rica Forum "Re: Is any one cming to costa..."
- Commented on one of ranger49's Collioure tips
- updated a Collioure Travel Page "Collioure -Jewel of the Vermeille Coast"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bread and Cakes"
- Wrote a Review Views from the steep lanes above town in Collioure Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue