"Crevecoeur-en-Auge" Crèvecoeur-en-Auge by ranger49

Crèvecoeur-en-Auge Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 58 photos

A village at the crossroads

The picture above is of the War Memorial in the village just before the busy cross roads.

Two busy roads - the D613 from Caen, going east to Liseux, and the D16 from the coast south to Falaise meet the the traffic lights in Crevecoeur-en-Auge.

We arrived on a cloudy Saturday afternoon, there were few people about - perhaps they were among the crowds we had just passed at the Chateau where a special Heritage Day event was taking place!

First impressions were a little disappointing - there was none of the "oo-ah" appeal of so many Normandie villages. Many closed down shops and empty houses - planning blight or symptom of recession ?

But we had been told beforehand about the excellent boucherie, boulangerie and epicerie so stopped to stock up
for the weekend.
Our spirits were lifted by the warm welcome and friendly smiles of the shopkeepers!

Quality assured car care.

Fortunately we did not have any mechanical or electrical problems with our car but this garage looked the kind of place that could tackle anything.
My husband recognised the logo displayed as the one our own local garages is affiliated to -a Europe wide association.

Housing and a shop or two

Along this row, is part of the high street it is set higher up. Enter from the War memorial or opposite the Cheval Blanc Logis Hotel, and you will find a small but very well stocked Alimentation, Chez Rolande. They always have a good selection of fruit and vegetables - usually displayed outside. There is also a hair dressing salon .

Opposite,on the High St , is the Boucherie Charcuterie of David Jounot, a good old style traditional shop; move on towards the traffic lights and come to the excellent boulangerie/patisserie run by the amiable Mme LePere - who has yet to be seen without a friendly smile!
On the opposite corner, at the lights the Maison de la Presse and bar tabac. This was closed during most of our stay for Annual Holidays.

Next door a very simple looking cafe/restaurant.

And that was about all the visible " commerces" more than adequate to meet every day needs.

• Pros:Perfect location and base for touring this area
  • Cons:Not for swingers and night clubbers
  • In a nutshell:Lovely rustic base to explore Pays d'Auge
  • Last visit to Crèvecoeur-en-Auge: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Nice tips and photos on this interesting-looking town (which I must admit I had never heard of before).

• ranger49's Profile Photo
      Feb 13, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Thanks Don for visiting and rating my Crevecoeur-en-Auge page. Although we have been frequent visitors to Normandy for many years there is always something "new" for us to see.. My husband cycled and hostelled here when he was 16 and 17. I came along a bit later but we go by car and on foot 60 years later!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Ah, here it is :-) I recently saw a documentation about the building style and techniques in Normandy and loved the pigeon houses :-) This one was also featured :-) Oh and they also have Medieval re-enactments! I shall... visit :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I have really loved reading about your sightseeing in this beautiful area. Love all those old buildings, and your accommodation would suit me fine!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2010 at 5:28 PM

The old Chateau sounds like a great place to explore and I think I would like your accommodations too. Interesting history of Schlumberger - I used one of their instruments while working in Papua New Guinea!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2010 at 9:29 AM

What a find the Chateau de Canon proved to be...GREAT photo of the gardens Barbara..another great little find from your most recent jaunt around Normandy..The architecture of The Chateau of Crevcoeur looks pretty interesting too!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Crèvecoeur-en-Auge

Have you been to Crèvecoeur-en-Auge?