"Douvres-la Delivrande" Douvres-la-Délivrande by ranger49
Douvres-la-Délivrande Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 23 photos
The twin spires of the Basilica, one of the oldest Marian sanctuaries in Normandy, can be seen from miles around - whether you approach by sea or from across the Caen plain.
The church that you see was built between 1854 and 1878 to replace a much earlier romanesgue chapel from the 12thC. It was from that chapel that the two statues now located at the back of the church, can be seen
To see the photographs in the nearby Radar Museum of the destruction and carnage that struck the town in June 1944 is heartbreaking. It is a miracle that anything in the town survived the aerial bombardment that followed the D-Day Landings.
It was heavily fortified by the occupying forces and fierce fighting took place with great loss of Allied forces before the Germans surrendered.
The British Cemetery, at the southern edge of the town is the burial place for the 1,123 soldiers who died here: 927 British, 11 Canadians, 3 Australians, 1 Pole, 180 Germans and one unknow soldier.
Today Douvres La Delivrande appears as a prospering town with respected educational institutions - a college, Lycee and further educational establishments.
The main street has shops bars and restaurants some of which survived the war - and there are many new developments around the town - residential and commercia.
The prefix Douvres - a celtic word meaning water - is a comparatively recent addition to the original town name of Delivrande for which I have found no explanation.
A very short distance from the Basilica is the Convent of Our Lady of Fidelity, originally known as Virgo Fideles . The... more travel advice
I thought this would be a boring visit for me, mainly because of my very poor grasp of the basic scientific elements of... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Douvres-la-Délivrande Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Douvres-la-Délivrande
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Douvres-la-Délivrande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Douvres-la-Délivrande
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Any French speakers who can..."
- updated a Douvres-la-Délivrande Travel Page "Douvres-la Delivrande"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Douvres-la-Délivrande travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lalique and Henri Guerin - artists in glass. in Douvres-la-Délivrande Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lalique and Henri Guerin - artists in glass."
Photos in Douvres-la-DélivrandeSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue