"Ebersmunster" Ebersmunster by ranger49

Ebersmunster Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 42 photos

Baroque beauty in a village church.

The picturesque village of Ebersmunster is in the Bas-Rhin department of the Alsace region, between Strasbourg and Colmar. The streets are lined with typical timbered houses painted in a mixture of pastel and strong colours, decorated with tubs and baskets of flowers. A small stream flows beside the attractive village inn. which looked loke a good place to stop for lunch.
I knew that the church stood on the site of a former Benedictine Abbey and that it was built in the early C18th in the style of Alsatian Baroque art.
As we approached it down the village street neither of us was quite prepared for for the sight of the onion-shaped domes atop the steeples.
After lunch we spent some time in the church and strolled round the village but had no time to linger any longer. Sadly we failed to keep our intention to return during the week hence the shortage of photographs.

• Intro Updated Jun 21, 2009

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Going to Alsace in September and making a list of restaurants :-). We'll go eat first THEN visit this unusual Church for France. J.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM

A beautiful church and a good restaurant nearby. What more could you want?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 12:52 AM

What a stunning Church, and you got some brilliant photos of it as well!

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Oh WOW! I forgot about this place. I went there in 1982 on a motorbike holiday. Loved it. I'll see if I have any pics and write a page.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Aux Deux Clefs looks absolutely charming. I bet it was absolutely relaxing and tranquil. Lovely page Barbara!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM

We too enjoyed Ebermunster and its outstanding church!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Church & organ look absolutely awesome! How fortunate that “improvements” and modernization were unaffordable.Wish that happened more often.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 6:08 AM

It was good that you were able to stumble upon that nice church and it's treasure of a Silbermann organ! My wife and I love exploring the backroads too and just enjoying the quieter side of a country. I like the looks of your pub too!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM

The small towns or villages in Alsace are always good for a surprise, aren't they? We've spent a few days there and I loved it.

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Ebersmunster

Have you been to Ebersmunster?

Latest Activity in Ebersmunster