"GRANDCAMP-MAISY IS NOW THE PLACE TO BE" Grandcamp Maisy by ranger49

Grandcamp Maisy Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 41 photos

Grandcamp les Bains is no more!

In November 1972, the commune formerly known as Grandcamp-les-Bains amalgamated with Maisy and changed its name to Grandcamp-Maisy.

It is a bustling little town with it's busy fishing port and pleasure harbour; it's important historical part in the D-Day Landings and links with the US Rangers and the important role played by them in the Allied Liberation of France.

A Great Place to Stay Awhile

We had passed through or near G-M many times but this time decided to make it our base for a 12 day visit to the area. We found a spacious holiday house -with internet access - and discovered that even in mid-October there is much to see and do within a 30/40 mile radius.

We had not expected to find so many good restaurants and cafes in this small town but as we have found before real, working communities stay open all year unlike tourist resorts that almost close down for winter.

Another great bonus was the weather - far better than we expected for mid- October but exactly what we hoped for, a real late summer!

History - ancient and modern on the doorstep

The main focus of local history is inevitably WW2 and the D-Day landings.

Most visitors work their way along the beaches from Utah, Pointe du Hoc and Omaha then move on to Arromanche where the remains of the Mulberry Harbour can still be seen on the sand and offshore. The British and Canadian Landing Beaches of Juno, Sword and Gold are further on.

We saw both small private organised tours and coach parties during their 5 or 10 minute photo opportunity stops, with no time for reflection on the events that took place along that stretch of coast and the price paid by all those involved.
We walked within earshot, of a couple of private tour guides with their 2 or 3 clients and were not impressed by their commentary.

An, as yet, less well known site is the recently discovered Batterie de Maisy.

This is, to quote from the Leaflet, "the huge German artillery Battery which was completely camouflaged and hidden in the French countryside and has just been restored".
The discovery was made by Gary Sterne an English historian of WW2 and collector of memorabilia. A wartime US map of the area led him to the site which has been partly excavated and is now open to the public.

I have a separate page on this development.

• Pros:Close to beaches, good restaurants, WW2 history , never overcrowded
  • Cons:Not for those seeking "night life".
  • In a nutshell:Great for families and history lovers.
  • Last visit to Grandcamp Maisy: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I absolutely adore the memorials, sculptures, and beautiful stain glass with the church. The Atlantic Wall sounds fascinating. Lovely page!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Burgundy is still a good place to visit. Grandcamp seems also a fine place. I think I should visit more that part of France. Are you not going to Krakow?

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Fish soup and rabbit casserole -heaven in a bowl and on a plate! Now I know it's too long since we were last in Normandy. Super page - loved it!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Thanks. I saw a mass grave in the countryside and a church where another site was. Despite the wounds, Rwanda is a friendly and successful country today.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Great photos- you were obviously there longer than me!Our driver whizzed through:-(p.s.My uncle took part in the construction of Mulberry Harbour. Treacherous project!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Barbara , the futility of war saddens me so much. Thjjese memorials must bring solace to those loved ones left behind.Good page

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Did I say already I should have read your page before we visited? I don't know how we could have fit more in, but you make me wish we could have seen more of this place than the statue.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Beautiful photos and excellent tips, will have to keep this place in mind for the future.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Mirabelle is the type of accommodation I always wanted for myself and my family. Self-catering is more advantageous and economical. and more importantly, I feel I am in my own home.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 12:26 PM

It seems a very nice place , lot of history !

ranger49 Visits Here Frequently!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Grandcamp Maisy

Have you been to Grandcamp Maisy?