"Isigny sur Mer" Isigny-sur-Mer by ranger49
Isigny-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 23 photos
This quiet little town located in the rich pastureland surrounding the marshes of the Bay of Veys became famous for the quality of its milk and cream and from the early 19th century began producing on a mass, industrial scale. The towns people prospered and, together with other employment at the local fisheries and oyster beds, generally enjoyed a good quality of life.
Then came WW2 and the Occupation followed after long years of suffering,and shortages until the Liberation in June 1944.
Then Isigny stood and suffered at the crossroads of history.
60% of the town was destroyed and the people were nearing starvation. General de Gaulle came soon after on his way to liberated Bayeux and addressed the townspeople - and made a large donation towards their immediate needs.
The town carried on....and survived.
This splendid building is set in attractive gardens and features regularly in the wedding photographs of bridal groups and their guests taken in a group on the steps in front of the building.
There must be a history behind the construction of this strange house - perhaps a land dispute or inheritance that ended... more travel advice
I usually take note of any campgrounds because some of our family are campers.We were self-catering near Isigny but... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Isigny-sur-Mer Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Isigny-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Isigny-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Isigny-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isigny-sur-Mer
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Isigny-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isigny-sur-Mer
Photos in Isigny-sur-MerSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue