"A short visit to the coast" Lion-sur-Mer by ranger49
Lion-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 20 photos
A strike at the museum we had planned to visit that day meant a last minute change of plan. The sun was shining so a visit to the seaside was quickly decided upon and Lion sur Mer - at the western edge of Sword Beach was closest.
We had not been there since September 1986 and had then gone specially with a relative to see the place where her husband, then aged only 19, had landed on June 6 1944.
It was a horribly wet and cold day, rather like it had been on the day of the landings and we had not spent any time exploring the village.
I did not expect to find this neat and pretty seaside resort but as we discovered some of its ancient, and more recent, history I was struck by the thought that the whole of this area, this country is like a living museum.
There is always something new to discover but the one constant are those iconic images - so traditionally and typically French.
Although this church was founded in the 11th century the original building has undergone many rebuilds and renovations so that a number of different architectiral styles can be seen here.
The only survivor of those 11th century builders is the amazing four-square tower with open arches on each of its three storeys.
At the top there is a platform from which panoramic views of the sea and coast can be obtained - if you feel up to ascending the narrow. spiral stairway to the top!
This small kiosk functions as the information office and has a very good selection of leaflets about points of interest in the town and in the surrounding area.
It was thanks to these we found several points of interest not mentioned in the Guide books we had with us - so much for Green Michelin, petit futé and the Rough Guide!
- Pros:More than a pleasant seaside resort
- Cons:None that we found
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit!
I should not have been surprised to see that this town has a fossil museum - it is after all just across the... more travel advice
We took a short walk along the promenade just as the few families still on the beach were beginning to leave. I was... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Lion-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lion-sur-Mer
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Lion-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lion-sur-Mer
Photos in Lion-sur-MerSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue