"Merville-Franceville Plage" Merville-Franceville-Plage by ranger49
Merville-Franceville-Plage Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos
Today Merville-Franceville Plage is a busy little seaside resort.
Its long sandy beaches make it an ideal destination for family holidays, and for lovers of nature, bird watchers and walkers.
It looks neat and tidy with beautiful floral displays everywhere.
In the the village you will find a good range of small shops – butchers and charcuterie, bakers and patisserie, a fish shop, pharmacy, newsagent, a few clothes shops, a book and antiques shop.
Also in the middle of the village a small but well stocked Shoppi supermarket.
The neatly organised, large car parks bordered by flowers along the sea front give you some idea of the number of visitors who arrive in high season and at times of Remembrance of the momentous events that took place here in the summer of 1944, resulting in the Liberation of France.
In the surrounding coast and countryside there are several camp grounds catering for tourists as well as hotels and numerous self catering properties.
The Battery at Merville was at the eastern most end of the Landings beaches and is sometimes overlooked by those researching WW2 history. It was in order to visit the site and museum that we chose to spend a few days "at the seaside" here in Merville
We soon discovered that the town has attractions of its own as well as making a good base from which to explore not only WW2 but also the historic coastal resorts. These were established when the benefits of sea bathing and sea air were “discovered” in the late 19th century.
All along the coast you can see examples of the grand houses, tiny beach huts, and hotelsthat attracted rich Parisiennes and the famous of that era.
Marcel Proust and other writers and artists were here.
Now you can follow in their footsteps.
There is an 18 hole mini-golf course right next to the main carpark on sea front. There did not appear to be much... more travel advice
Hands up those who never had an imaginary friend, did not love tales of witches and fairy godmothers, heroes and... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Merville-Franceville-Plage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Merville-Franceville Plage"
- "Merville Franceville Plage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Merville-Franceville-Plage
- Hotels in Merville-Franceville-Plage
- Restaurants in Merville-Franceville-Plage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Merville-Franceville-Plage
- 11 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Merville-Franceville-Plage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Merville-Franceville-Plage
- Posted in Travel Dover Forum "Re: Dover sightseeing buses"
- Wrote a Review Something for most sporting and other a interests. in Merville-Franceville-Plage Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mini-Golf"
- updated a Merville-Franceville-Plage Travel Page "Merville-Franceville Plage"
- Commented on one of vichatherly's Merville-Franceville-Plage travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue