"Monségur" Monségur by ranger49
Monségur Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 27 photos
This Monségur dates from 1265 and was founded by Eleonore of Provence , wife of the English King Henry 111.
It should not be confused with Monségur in Ariège - the one with the Cathar castle.
Constant outbreaks of war between France and England including the 100 years war the resulted in considerable damage to the original walls but the town still retains vestiges of the old defences and layout.
The heart of the town is the lovely arcaded market place with its 19th.C covered market.
On Market Day stalls fill both the market and the road around the square.
Cafes under the arcades do a brisk trade but if you return in mid afternoon all will be quiet with few people to be seen either there or in the old narrow streets which run from the centre.
The striking iron upright and supports of the market are best seen when it is empty. The building is of a similar vintage to the market hall in my home town (which does not have oen sides) but I could see some similarities in the ironwork.
On several occasions we saw local children taking advantage of the space to practise skateboarding there.
In some parts of the town old houses, including several half timbered ones, have been restored, windows are covered with sparking white lace curtains, sills display troughs of bright flowers and polished marble doorsteps gleam.
This quiet lane of smaller dwellings was less showy.It leads directly - through the arch at the end of the lane - into the market square, passing the church of Notre Dame on the left.
ranger49's Related Pages
Monségur Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Monségur
- Hotels in Monségur
- Restaurants in Monségur
- Warnings and Dangers in Monségur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monségur
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Monségur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monségur
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue