"Port Vendres in Languedoc-Roussillion" Port-Vendres by ranger49
Port-Vendres Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 17 photos
Port Vendres, just a short drive down the coast from Collioure and has a natural deep harbour which has evolved into three distinct sections.
The commercial port - used by the deep sea fishing fleet, commercial freight ships and tenders from visiting cruise ships.; the harbour, where smaller fishing boats are based, close to the pleasure boat marina for local and visiting sailors. And to crown it all a small beach.
This may seem to the visitor like any other Meditteranean fishing port but it holds the history of centuries..
Both the Greeks and the Romans were regular visitors and, moving on many centuries, so was the ubiquitous Vauban who designed the fortifications of the port in the late 17th C. giving the town an important role in the military defence of France.
The waterfront and the narrow lanes lined with cottages - formerly the homes of the fishermen and their families, now also house many incomers - second home owners and holiday homes.
We enjoyed our visit to this vibrant little town and were surprised to see so many visitors there in early April.
Some smaller sized cruise ships and sailing ships make a port of call in Port Vendres.
Since our last visit we have learned that there are proposals to build a third quay in the deep water harbour - large enough to receive big ocean going cruisers.
This would bring some some new employment prospects to the area and berthing fees to th Port - but I wonder at what net cost to the Cote Vermeille.
I noticed Cosprons on the map as we drove over the hill from Collioure to Port Vendres. The staff in the Tourist Office... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Port-Vendres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Vendres in Languedoc-Roussillion"
- "Port-Vendres - Port of Venus"
- "Porte Vendres"
- "Such a tranquil beach village!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port-Vendres
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Port-Vendres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port-Vendres
Photos in Port-VendresSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue