"Quimper, Bretagne." Top 5 Page for this destination Quimper by ranger49
Quimper Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 97 photos
We arrived on a Saturday morning when the town was busy with both local shoppers and tourists. So much busier than I remembered.
The old part of the town, with the Cathedral and colourful timbered buildings is approached by a tree-lined road running along the River Odet, crossed by numerous bridges, all adorned with summer flowers.
The newer buildings seem to blend quite comfortably with the ancient streets behind them and are now mainly pedestrianised.
Quimper has several claims to fame including - its' Gothic Cathedral with gleaming twin spires (added 1856); Faïence, the distinctive tin glazed earthernware known as Quimper Pottery, on sale on every corner, and the Festival de Cornouaille of music and folklore which attracts several hundred thousand visitors every July.
The Cathedral was shrouded in scaffolding but we captured this glimpse of the twin spiresas we walked up Rue Kéréon.
More pictures on things to do.
You will not starve in Quimper - there are eateries galore of every description offering light snacks , crêpes or full meals. We had a Croque Monsieur, a Breton "cake" and a soft drink for 5 euros. A 3-course lunch with a glass of wine or beer could be had for around 12 - 15 euros.
- Pros:A lively, historical centre with plenty to see and do.
The old town is full of places to eat. We only wanted a snack but had we been staying longer choosing where to go for a... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Quimper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cult of Saint Anne"
- "Quimper and its curved cathedral . . ."
- "Quimper, Bretagne."
- "We Came Here only to See the Cathedral"
- "Quimper France"
- "Home of Laguiole"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quimper
- Hotels in Quimper
- Restaurants in Quimper
- Shopping in Quimper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quimper
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Quimper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quimper
Photos in QuimperSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue