"Roscoff - more than a just a Ferry Port!" Roscoff by ranger49

Roscoff Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 152 photos

A seaside resort in Northern Bretagne

We have travelled to and from France many times via Roscoff spending only enough time there to disembark and head off for our onward route or to arrive in time to embark for our homeward ferry crossing to Plymouth.

Nice place, we thought, would like a bit longer here to explore.
So we booked two nights in a small hotel before our return sailing at the end of July. What a delightful two days it turned out to be - perfect weather and a pretty, fascinating little town of narrow streets, coastal walks, pavement cafes and decent resturants.

It was while I was perusing VT Hotel Tips that I came across the Roscoff pages of VT Member John Gayton. I am indebted to him for some of the things we found to do there - particularly the Chapelle de Ste. Barbe and the wonderful views that are to be seen from there.

So - Many Thanks John! We will stop there again!

The Church in the Square

The Hydrangea is the Flower of Brittany and throughout our two week stay we had seen them everywhere.
Here, around the Church yard the flowers were just beginning to fade but still made a lovely display.

The Tiny Chapelle Ste Barbe

It was thanks to John Gayton 's VT Tip that we made our way up here - a promontory between the town/fishing harbour and the ferry harbour.

The white walls of the little chapel still act as a marker for sailors.
There are lovely views from here over toward the town, the fishinh harbour and - look the other way - towards the deep harbour at Bloscon from which Brittany Ferries leave.

• Last visit to Roscoff: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Lovely page! I can see why you spent more time here, I could too!

• grayfo's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

A place I would like to visit, the long drive to Plymouth before the crossing would spoil it for me.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2009 at 6:52 AM

The Chapelle de Ste Barbe looks marvelous. Enjoyed the Story of Johny Onions. You've preserved the history of the "Johnies" in your delightful tip here, so they will not be forgotten. Wonderful page!

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Good ideas here for our trip to Bretany next September. The walk along the chapelle and seafood at the Surcouf are marked. Take care, Jean-Pierre

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 6:41 AM

What wonderful views from Pieds dans La mer! This quant little place looks fantastic for a lazy weekend. Your pictures are excellent. Thanks for sharing.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 7:31 AM

Hi, Nice little page and tx for the photos all of which bring back a memorable day-trip. Must get across again soon with a camera! Cheers, John.

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Roscoff

Have you been to Roscoff?

Latest Activity in Roscoff