"Cwmbran - Greenmeadow Community Farm" Gwent by ranger49
Gwent Travel Guide: 317 reviews and 1,116 photos
Cwmbran does not appear in the VT database so I am locating it under Gwent even though it is now in Torfaen and previously was in Monmouthshire.
It was established in 1949 as a New Town.
Following WW2 plans to create New Towns to provide homes and jobs were made possible by an Act of Parliament in 1946.
The deliberate Planning Process to create a town with decent housing and new industries, encouraged by financial incentives, a sound social infrastructure including the preservation of green open spaces required overall control of planning and this was undertaken in each of the new towns by a Development Corporation.
Cwmbran was the only New Town in Wales and the Development Corporation established in 1949 was to oversee the work of creating the new town on the fringe of the south east Wales industrial valleys and remained in existence until 1988 when all admistrative reponsibilities were transferred to the Local Authority - currently Torfaen County Council.
A greatly enlarged new community it now has in addition to health and education services, recreational and sporting facilities, arts and craft centres and a theatre. The headquarters of the Monmouthshire County Council and the Police HQ are located there.
Industrial and retail parks surround the town. In the centre the shopping area has been remodeled and is now said to be the largest covered shopping centre in Wales.
One of the requirements of the New Towns Act was that open and green spaces should be maintained for the benefit of the residents so the town is still set amidst green hills and a stretch of the Monmouth and Brecon Canal runs along its border.
And not far from the town Centre there is a farm - the Greenmeadow Community Farm established in 1983.
The former farmhouse has been convertd to make a very attractive cafe and restaurant a, Ticket Office and Shop. It is well provided with facililities at the entrance for hosing down muddy Wellies and inside there are good toilet and hand washing facilities.
When we took our eldest 3 grandchildren to the Farm about 8 years ago and they stripped off and waited for the dragons... more travel advice
We arrived quite late at the playground so had it all to ourselves. The animals were forgotten as the children ran from... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Gwent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cwmbran - Greenmeadow Community Farm"
- "Rape of my fair Land"
- "Marcher Lands of the Welsh Borders"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gwent
- Hotels in Gwent
- Transportation in Gwent
- Nightlife in Gwent
- Restaurants in Gwent
- Shopping in Gwent
- Warnings and Dangers in Gwent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gwent
- 28 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Gwent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gwent
- Posted in Travel Argelès-sur-Mer Forum "Re: Looking for an apartment"
- Commented on one of leffe3's Gwent travel pages
- updated a Gwent Travel Page "Cwmbran - Greenmeadow Community Farm"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cwmbran - Greenmeadow Community Farm"
- Wrote a Review Meeting the Dragon pre H & S in Gwent Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Top Gwent hotels
- Newport Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Usk Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Chepstow Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 214 Photos
- Monmouth Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 85 Photos
- Tintern Abbey Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Raglan Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Caldicot Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 73 Photos
- Blaenavon Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Abergavenny Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 216 Photos