"Symond's Yat, Wye Valley, Herefordshire" Herefordshire by ranger49
Herefordshire Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 385 photos
Herefordshire is one of Englands largest agricultural counties with a rich and varied history.
Like many places in the County that I would like to write about Symond's Yat does not have an entry in the VT Database.
That is a pity for not only is it a Site of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) in the Wye Valley but it is also one of the most visited of tourist destinations in the UK. The beauty and history of the area first attracted tourists in the 18thC.
Located close to the Welsh border and less than 30 minutes from Abergavenny it is a place I visit frequently. To the east, just on the other side of the river, is the Royal Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.
This was our first winter visit and well worth making the effort to trudge through the snow to see the snowdrops.
The best/easiest walk is along the eastern side of the river using the path created on the bed of the old railway line. The line was an important freight line carrying cargoes previously transported by water as well as passengers.
The river wends its way here through a sheer limestone gorge and is associated with the name Symond's Yat. Symonds was a well known 18thC. Sheriff and Yat the local word for gateway or pass , so - Pass through the rocks. On either side dense woodland, protected by the Forestry Commission, provides a safe environment for wildlife. The children were very excited to discover clear imprints left bt the deer that inhabit the area, but distressed to find a poor, little rabbit frozen to death in the snow.
This path is very popular and in spite of the cold weather we met and passed several other family groups enjoying the sunshine and fresh air.
It also forms part of the national cycle track along which the Pregrine trail runs.
A winter walk when foliage on the trees is less dense makes it possible to pick out the many points of interest in the gorge.. Our very imaginative grand children happily pointed out witches' caves, and dragons' dens, bits of deadwood turned into fantastic birds.
We did not however spot any of the pregrines which nest in the gorge. These are best seen in summer from the high point of the Yat Rock where the members of the RSPB together with Forest Rangers guide people to the best vantage points from which the birds may often be seen nesting.
Goodrich Castle is nearby Castle
- Pros:Unspoiled natural beauty and centre for healthy outdoor activities.
Almost any activity can be pursued here or close by including walking, cycling, mountain biking, canoeing, climbing,... more travel advice
I have already mentioned the traditional wood craftmanship to be seen in the picnic shelter on the woodland walk. In... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Herefordshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WYE VALLEY"
- "Symond's Yat, Wye Valley, Herefordshire"
- "Symonds Yat - Natural Beauty"
- "HOME OF THE BLACK & WHITE TRAIL"
- "UP NORTH"
- "Black & white houses, cider orchards & Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Herefordshire
- Hotels in Herefordshire
- Transportation in Herefordshire
- Nightlife in Herefordshire
- Restaurants in Herefordshire
- Shopping in Herefordshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Herefordshire
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Herefordshire
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Herefordshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Herefordshire
- Posted in Travel Galveston Forum "Re: island transit"
- Commented on one of ranger49's Herefordshire tips
- Wrote a Review Activities for eveyone! in Herefordshire Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Herefordshire Travel Page "Symond's Yat, Wye Valley, Herefordshire"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Symond's Yat, Wye Valley, Herefordshire"
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue