"Blue Remembered Hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire by ranger49

Shropshire Travel Guide: 351 reviews and 978 photos

Shropshire - a county on the way but here to stay

What are those blue remembered hills,
What farms, what spires are those?"
A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman

Houseman was one of my Dad’s favourite poets and at some point, whenever we drove up the A49 through Shropshire on the journey between Manchester and South Wales, he would quote the above lines.
It was a frequent journey then - little did I know that I would be making the same journey for the rest of my life, long after my parents were gone …

I have lived in Wales since then but children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews now live along that same route back to Manchester.
And I still go back every year to attend the Annual gathering of my Grammar School Year Group. As a schoolgirl (when teachers in their 40's seemed old!) I would never have guessed what a load of fun a bunch of 70 year olds can have or how much noise their laughter can make!

Years ago Shropshire was just a place to be travelled through- with some lovely scenery and some interesting regular stopping places - water-holes really but never enough time to stop and explore.

Now I have discovered what a very beautiful county Shropshire is - and have the time to stop and explore.

• Intro Updated Mar 11, 2009

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 4:25 AM

We had a TV ad about Shropshire over here a few years back and it has always been of interest to me. I generally try to avoid the British pages as I then get the itch to make another trip over. Your Dad and his poetry sound like my Pa.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Living in Bridgnorth I never find myself on the road between Church Stretton and Craven Arms as I always use the roads that go east. I'll check out the Lazy Trout though :)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Hi Barbara. I saw you were the featured member so I visited your pages. My Icelandic great-Aunt used to live in Shropshire, so this place is dear to me. All the best, Regína

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Great tip!

ranger49 Visits Here Frequently!

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Shropshire

Have you been to Shropshire?

Latest Activity in Shropshire