"Blue Remembered Hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire by ranger49
Shropshire Travel Guide: 351 reviews and 978 photos
What are those blue remembered hills,
What farms, what spires are those?"
A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman
Houseman was one of my Dad’s favourite poets and at some point, whenever we drove up the A49 through Shropshire on the journey between Manchester and South Wales, he would quote the above lines.
It was a frequent journey then - little did I know that I would be making the same journey for the rest of my life, long after my parents were gone …
I have lived in Wales since then but children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews now live along that same route back to Manchester.
And I still go back every year to attend the Annual gathering of my Grammar School Year Group. As a schoolgirl (when teachers in their 40's seemed old!) I would never have guessed what a load of fun a bunch of 70 year olds can have or how much noise their laughter can make!
Years ago Shropshire was just a place to be travelled through- with some lovely scenery and some interesting regular stopping places - water-holes really but never enough time to stop and explore.
Now I have discovered what a very beautiful county Shropshire is - and have the time to stop and explore.
This roadside cafe was established in 1937 and I first experienced its special qualities in 1955 when being driven by my... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Shropshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shrophire - Glorious England"
- "Blue Remembered Hills"
- "Green and wet and wonderful"
- "My Shropshire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shropshire
- Hotels in Shropshire
- Transportation in Shropshire
- Nightlife in Shropshire
- Restaurants in Shropshire
- Shopping in Shropshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Shropshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shropshire
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Shropshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shropshire
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue