"Corcovado National Park - Spectacular" Top 5 Page for this destination Corcovado National Park by Neilzonwheelz
Corcovado National Park Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 48 photos
Getting into the National Park can be done in three ways, Flying in a light aircraft - the most expensive, by small boat - the breakers can be a bit tricky and finally, hiking - the cheapest, notice not the most enjoyable.
After bouncing along a Collectivo for a couple of hours we arrive at Carate Beach, oh man this place was special. after hiking along it's soft sand to the National Park office I checked in, got a basic map, [I do mean basic] and after paying fee, off I was allowed to go.
The Ranger Station had suffered a storm so the food you planned to eat had to be brought in, along with sleeping bag etc... Then one had to watch out for tides because part of track was along beaches and of course wild pigs - yipee I thought.
As I began my journey, I noticed somewhat disconcertedly that the trees were rather thin & if I had to scramble up one in the event of a pig attack I wasn't to certain it would hold.
The walk was uneventful, hard yakka & at times I wasn't too sure if I wasn't lost as some parts of the trail were not signposted - hmmm.
I came to a small, but deep stream after sussing out what to do, I removed my boots, socks and began to wade across, halfway through I realised to my sickening horror was that my Canon S50, my beloved, trusted friend who had been through everything with me for the last 10 months of travel lay submerged in one of shorts zip pockets. I got to the other side & immediately did the wrong thing, I switched it on & listened to the bang,whizz and whirr as my friend died in smoke.
So most of Costa Rica pictures from then on were of the old point & shoot variety. But I did see Tapirs, Sharks, Monkeys leaping from tree to tree and forever etched in my mind, the monkeys blinking eyes at night were like a quilt of stars. My insipid description fails to do that moment any justice - go witness it for yourself.
After walking in, taking 4 hours of hiking I really was in no mood for hiking back out. Fortunately there were several... more travel advice
Neilzonwheelz's Related Pages
Corcovado National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Special Way to Bring In the New Year"
- "Corcovado National Park - Spectacular"
- "Parque Nacional Corcovado"
- "The last frontier."
- "Sirena to Carate Day Hike"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corcovado National Park
- Hotels in Corcovado National Park
- Transportation in Corcovado National Park
- Nightlife in Corcovado National Park
- Restaurants in Corcovado National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Corcovado National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corcovado National Park
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Corcovado National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corcovado National Park
Photos in Corcovado National ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sofia Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Beijing Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phu Quoc Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Santiago Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corcovado National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos