"Harrogate North Yorkshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Harrogate by Doug767
Harrogate Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 133 photos
Harrogate became a 'famous' Spa Town after William Slingsby discovered spring waters in a well - Tewitt Well. The water was found to be rich in minerals - sulphur and iron. Harrogate increased in popularity during the Eighteenth century after the physician Timothy Bight claimed the spa water had (almost miraculous!) healing properties - curing all manner of ailments -nervous tension, gout, rheumatism and lumbago...15000 people a year used to visit Harrogate in the Eighteenth Century to 'take' the waters' of the strongest sulphur wells in Europe.
There are many wells, each with a different mineral content, the Magnesia well in the valley gardens being famous, but the most popular being the 'Stinking Spaw' well, a (foul tasting!) sulphur well situated at the 'Royal Pump Rooms', now a museum...
The lovely wide open tree lined grass space on the south side of Harrogate known as 'The Stray' covers 200 acres (created by an Act of Parliament in 1770) adds to the charm and character of Harrogate...
Nowadays, Harrogate is a thriving affluent eclectic Town, having many 'strings to its bow' - the International Conference Centre' brings a lot of diverse International visitors and associated business to the area, with the stylish shopping area providing excellent retail therapy...followed with a huge choice of quality restaurants and bars...
Harrogate is also a good 'base' to visit the surrounding areas - York, Fountains Abbey, the Yorkshire Dales' etc...
'Bettys' Tea Rooms are part of Harrogate!
Quality 'Afternoon Tea' & Food.
Be prepared to queue...
Conference & Exhibition Centre. Always lots of 'Trade Fairs', from Toys to Carpets to Swimwear to.... live music, Ballet, Political Conferences etc...
Set in an classic 'Old Town Theatre' atmosphere. Always has a varied & interesting program of plays to watch. Renowned... more travel advice
Doug767's Related Pages
Harrogate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Harrogate North Yorkshire"
- "Harrogate November 07"
- "Harrogate north yorkshire."
- "Harrogate - The Victorian Spa Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harrogate
- Hotels in Harrogate
- Transportation in Harrogate
- Restaurants in Harrogate
- Shopping in Harrogate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harrogate
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Harrogate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harrogate
Top 10 Pages
- Antibes Intro, 8 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mombasa Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maldives Intro, 1 review, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harrogate Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Monaco Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lake Mary Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Havana Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thiruvananthapuram 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Cannes Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Menton Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos