"Food for Thought" Perthgerl's Profile

When I travel to a new place, I especially like to go to the local market or supermarket, because everybody has to eat. Sometimes I just buy what the person in front of me is buying and have a go. Its a great opportunity to interact with locals in a non-threatening environment - everyone wants to show you what goes with what and how to eat it. Enjoying local food is a great way to show respect for my host country's culture. Also, sometimes I have to see it on the shelves to believe it exists.

I remember the meal in the photo very well for a couple of reasons. Firstly, we got a basket/bowl, chose what we wanted from the vegetable stall, then the lady cooked it up for us. Another lady wandered by selling fried crickets in little paper bags, so we bought a bag and ate some. The people on our table struck up a conversation with us and gave us some good advice on what to eat next.

I love exploring differences between cultures while doing the most universal thing of all - eating.

• Intro Updated Jan 11, 2005

• Oct 24, 2005 at 12:18 AM

Hello Perthgerl from HepburnSprings, Victoria. I see Tina found you also:) Cheers Anne

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2005 at 10:03 PM

Hey Perthgerl, where have you been hiding? Why haven't we met you yet? Did you know there is a mini-VT get-together this Friday night?

• Kojidaiyo's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 9:21 PM

what's the most beautiful beach loaction you went to in Sth & Central America?

• Jan 6, 2005 at 12:49 AM

Wishing you a happy new year. May this year will bring happiness and exciting travels to you. Greetings from India . Superb phtographs.

• jodssmile's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2004 at 11:26 PM

You are better at trying new food than I....crickets, I would have to at least douse them in chocolate first.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 11:09 PM

Crickets and coke...Now that's a meal.

• icyjo24's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 7:58 AM

Thanks for your reply in the forum... looking forward to go to WA soon...

• alien_species's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 1:33 PM

Hi Really sincere thanks for your posting regarding countryside accom. Lots of interesting stuff. I was touring in the area for 2 weeks a year ago and missed nearly all of them!

• fervalerio's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2004 at 6:09 PM

Hola! I like the pictures you share, show us more! you have been in the entire American Continent!!! Gracias

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2004 at 5:46 AM

Those Tingle Trees are fantastic,found this link:trekearth.com/gallery/photo6..., but have not yet found the exact size of them.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Perthgerl's Profile Photo

Perthgerl

“Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur”

Ranked Member