"Staten Island - unknown nugget in NYC" Top 5 Page for this destination Staten Island by adventerrtravel22
Staten Island Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 85 photos
Many people who come to New York City have never heard of Staten Island. We are one of the five boroughs that make up New York City. The "city" that everyone thinks of is Manhattan Island.
Of the five boroughs, Staten Island is the "jewel" of New York City. Nicknamed the "borough of parks", it is the most rural of New York City's boroughs making it a bit tricky to navigate.
It's true that there are many Italian-Americans on Staten Island but it is very diverse in culture, religion and race. Many Staten Islanders migrated from Brooklyn, including myself at the age of 4.
There are many things to do and see on Staten Island. Come to Staten Island to ride the bicycle paths and see the beautiful scenery. Bicycle map (need Adobe Acrobat software)
Pictures are coming soon
The following information is provided by the Staten Island Econoimc Development Corporation and the NY Times.
*Median Age 35.98 years
*Median Houshold Income $59,392
*Median Household Net Worth $44,201
*Total Housing Units = 169,035
*Homeownership Rate= 64% Own, 36% Rent
*2,000 Developable Commercial and Industrial Acres
*40 Cultural Institutions
The picture to the side is a 1930's Staten Island Fire Engine taken at a fair on the Mount Loretto grounds.
Alot of people are intimidated when coming to Staten Island. It is best navigated by car.
There are four main roads on Staten Island that will connect you to just about everything. Here is a Map of Staten Island main roads
Both Hyland Blvd. and Amboy road run from Southern most S.I. on a Northeastern route on S.I.. Most Parks can be found near or on Hylan Blvd.
Richmond Ave. runs from the middle of S.I. straight North. Richmond Ave. crosses Hylan Blvd, Amboy Road and Victory Blvd. It also has connections to the Richmond Pkwy (connects to Outerbridge Crossing) and the Staten Island Expwy (connects to Verrazzano Br., Goethals Br. and Bayonne Br.) The Staten Island Mall and many other shopping centers are on Richmond Ave.
Victory Blvd runs straight East/West through the center of S.I. You can connect to the West Shore Expy,cross Richmond Ave., Staten Island Expy and Staten Island Ferry on this road.
As you can probably tell. All the "main roads" that take you through Staten Island crisscross each other at some point and are accessable to all the main highways on Staten Island. You can not get lost as everything is close to these main roads.
The picture to the side is a 1970's Staten Island Fire Engine taken at a fair on the Mount Loretto grounds.
- Pros:Great Parks, plenty of good restaurants, close to Manhattan
- Cons:Inconvenient Public Transportation
- In a nutshell:Great place to take in Nature and learn about America's and Staten Island's History.
Here is a picture of one of the many ponds within the Mount Loretto Park grounds more travel advice
Obviously since I live on S.I. I do not stay in these hotels. I will provide you a source where people who stayed on... more travel advice
- SI Hot Dance club - Dance the night away
- See All Staten Island Zoo
- Find out about our great Island
- Beware of those you can not see
adventerrtravel22's Related Pages
Staten Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Staten Island - unknown nugget in NYC"
- "Staten Island, The Forgotten Boro"
- "4th longest boardwalk in the world ? Find it here!"
- "Staten Island"
- "Staten Italy?"
- "Staten Island"
- "LA HISTORICA STATEN ISLAND (NY)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staten Island
- Hotels in Staten Island
- Transportation in Staten Island
- Nightlife in Staten Island
- Restaurants in Staten Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Staten Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Staten Island
- 40 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Staten Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staten Island
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "RE: RE: Empire State Building &..."
- Wrote a Review Classic car service in Staten Island Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Staten Island buses connect at the S.I. Ferry"
- updated a Staten Island Travelogue "Picturesque Mount Loretto Park"
- Commented on one of ceswho's Staten Island travel pages
Photos in Staten IslandSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Staten Island Intro, 40 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Interlaken Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Louise Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Zürich 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Bushkill Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newton Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews
- Orlando Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Banff Intro, 1 review, 2 photos