"Terry's Adventures" adventerrtravel22's Profile
It's so hard to find interesting things to post about the New York City area. <joking>
Many people who come to New York City have never heard of Staten Island. We are one of the five boroughs that make up New York City. The "city" that everyone thinks of is Manhattan Island.
Of the five boroughs, Staten Island is the "jewel" of New York City. Nicknamed the "borough of parks", it is the most rural of New York City's boroughs making it a bit tricky to navigate.
It's true that there are many Italian-Americans on Staten Island but it is very diverse in culture, religion and race. Many Staten Islands migrated from Brooklyn, including myself at the age of 4.
Both my parents are naturalized citizens of the USA coming from Ireland.
Children are the future of our world, there are endless possibilities to them if they are given a chance. Many children have few possibilities in life. We all have had someone in our lives who has helped us at some point.
I have adopted Claissa from the Christian Children's Fund and I am very proud as to her asperations of wanting to become a Doctor. Claissa is a 12 year old girl on the outskirts of Fortaleza, Brazil. She has one sister and lives with her mom in a modest home that is lent to them made of hollow-brick walls, rough cement floors and a clay tiled roof. Their father abandoned the home.
Growing up as a hyperactive child I needed an outlet to direct my energies. I found that sports was ideal for combating my hyperactivity. Since then I have always had an strong affinity to playing and watching sports. There are many lessons to be learned that can be used in real life situations. Some of the attributes that I've taken away from them are:
1) Work Hard - Always work hard, you may not always be the most talented person but hard work and persistance overcomes many shortcomings. Giving 100% = No regrets is my motto.
2) Persistance - Never give up, your next great success is right around the corner, keep working towards your goal.
3) Setting goals- ANYTHING can be accomplished by settting long term and then shorter term goals. Break it down and take it one step at a time. Give yourself a road map to follow and it will take you to your final goal. Work hard and never give up on accomplishing that goal.
4) Team Work - Great things can be accomplished when people work together, successful businesses try to incorporate this into their strageties.
5) Humility - You are never as good as you think you are, someone will come along to knock you down. You meet the same people on the way up as you meet on the way down, treat people with respect. Also, you are never as low as you think you are, it will turn around.
6) Pray - Yes prayer. It is not done on TV for show. It will calm and focus you on the important aspects of life. It gives you inner strength to get through all the attributes I mentioned above and helps with the occurances that are "out of our control".
As a child in the 1970's I fell in LOVE with the Dallas Cowboys . They were the team that NEVER QUIT . They represent everything I mentioned above. One of the MOST SUCCESSFUL franchises in Football history. They have fallen on hard times recently but two new players Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears (pictured on the side) and a host of others will turn it around.
Here are some of my favorite things when traveling.
Anyone want to guess as to what's in my mouth?
I completed a life long dream of going sky diving. Check out my photos in the Travelogues on my Newton NJ page.
Next year's adventures
1. Skiing in Lake Louise, Canada (Done)
2. Helicopter ride in NYC (Done)
3. Skydiving (again) (next year)
4. Get my certification for scuba diving. (next year)
5. Begin my studies to become a pilot (aircraft-recreational) (too costly now)
6 Rent a Mustang GT Convertible and travel from Miami to Key West Florida (too many Hurricanes down there now)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“The best part of traveling isn't always the destination, it's the journey getting there.”
- Member Rank:
- 0 2 0 2 5
- Forum Rank:
- 0 5 9 2 9
- Real Name
- Jersey City, New Jersey
- Member Since
- Aug 4, 2004
- 97 Reviews
- 194 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 97 Reviews
- 194 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
- adventerrtravel22 and yumi53 are now friends.
- Commented on Nathalie_B's profile page
updated their Personal Page "Jungfrau"
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "RE: RE: Empire State Building &..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Terry's Adventures"
- Wrote a Review Classic car service in Staten Island Transportation
- updated a Frankfurt am Main Travel Page "My visit to Frankfurt"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Staten Island Intro, 40 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Interlaken Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Louise Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Zürich 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Bushkill Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newton Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews
- Orlando Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Banff Intro, 1 review, 2 photos