"Terry's Adventures" adventerrtravel22's Profile

Undercontruction

It's so hard to find interesting things to post about the New York City area. <joking>

Many people who come to New York City have never heard of Staten Island. We are one of the five boroughs that make up New York City. The "city" that everyone thinks of is Manhattan Island.

Of the five boroughs, Staten Island is the "jewel" of New York City. Nicknamed the "borough of parks", it is the most rural of New York City's boroughs making it a bit tricky to navigate.

It's true that there are many Italian-Americans on Staten Island but it is very diverse in culture, religion and race. Many Staten Islands migrated from Brooklyn, including myself at the age of 4.

Both my parents are naturalized citizens of the USA coming from Ireland.

Giving back

Children are the future of our world, there are endless possibilities to them if they are given a chance. Many children have few possibilities in life. We all have had someone in our lives who has helped us at some point.

I have adopted Claissa from the Christian Children's Fund and I am very proud as to her asperations of wanting to become a Doctor. Claissa is a 12 year old girl on the outskirts of Fortaleza, Brazil. She has one sister and lives with her mom in a modest home that is lent to them made of hollow-brick walls, rough cement floors and a clay tiled roof. Their father abandoned the home.

My Love and passion

Growing up as a hyperactive child I needed an outlet to direct my energies. I found that sports was ideal for combating my hyperactivity. Since then I have always had an strong affinity to playing and watching sports. There are many lessons to be learned that can be used in real life situations. Some of the attributes that I've taken away from them are:

1) Work Hard - Always work hard, you may not always be the most talented person but hard work and persistance overcomes many shortcomings. Giving 100% = No regrets is my motto.

2) Persistance - Never give up, your next great success is right around the corner, keep working towards your goal.

3) Setting goals- ANYTHING can be accomplished by settting long term and then shorter term goals. Break it down and take it one step at a time. Give yourself a road map to follow and it will take you to your final goal. Work hard and never give up on accomplishing that goal.

4) Team Work - Great things can be accomplished when people work together, successful businesses try to incorporate this into their strageties.

5) Humility - You are never as good as you think you are, someone will come along to knock you down. You meet the same people on the way up as you meet on the way down, treat people with respect. Also, you are never as low as you think you are, it will turn around.

6) Pray - Yes prayer. It is not done on TV for show. It will calm and focus you on the important aspects of life. It gives you inner strength to get through all the attributes I mentioned above and helps with the occurances that are "out of our control".

As a child in the 1970's I fell in LOVE with the Dallas Cowboys . They were the team that NEVER QUIT . They represent everything I mentioned above. One of the MOST SUCCESSFUL franchises in Football history. They have fallen on hard times recently but two new players Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears (pictured on the side) and a host of others will turn it around.

Great things about traveling

Here are some of my favorite things when traveling.

Flying
Trains
Mountains
Water/Waterfalls
History
Nature
People

Anyone want to guess as to what's in my mouth?

On October 3rd

I completed a life long dream of going sky diving. Check out my photos in the Travelogues on my Newton NJ page.

Next year's adventures
1. Skiing in Lake Louise, Canada (Done)
2. Helicopter ride in NYC (Done)
3. Skydiving (again) (next year)
4. Get my certification for scuba diving. (next year)
5. Begin my studies to become a pilot (aircraft-recreational) (too costly now)
6 Rent a Mustang GT Convertible and travel from Miami to Key West Florida (too many Hurricanes down there now)

• Intro Updated Oct 29, 2005

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM

A warm happy birthday greeting to you. Wish you keep more travellings and write more to share on VT.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

What a horrible friend I am, I missed your birthday again. Sorry. Hope you had a good one, filled with Guinness :) Was in Dublin almost a year ago. Thinking about going again in January.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Happy, happy birthday Terry! Hope you have a great day.

• yumi53's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 4:38 AM

Hey Terry, tks for leaving the birthday greeting... well, long time ago though.. How r u lately?

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 6:19 PM

thanks very much, i like your story about your daughter, my son is 5, he's the light of my life

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 7:13 AM

Happy Belated Birthday Terry!!!

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2006 at 10:57 PM

Happy Birthday to you. Hope you have a fabulous day :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2006 at 6:13 PM

A fun-filled birthday is wished for you from Chicago. Hope you are surrounded by those you love to celebrate YOU.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2006 at 6:03 PM

Terry, wishing you a wonderful birthday, and that the weather is not too hot! All the best for the coming year ~ Helen

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo

adventerrtravel22

“The best part of traveling isn't always the destination, it's the journey getting there.”

Real Name