"Oh the Places You'll Go!" linwei66's Profile
I am an ESL teacher in China. Duties include nstilling my mother tongue into the impressionable minds of Chinese youth and teaching my "pennsylvania hua" to my adult classes.
I live in Tianjin, a large port city in northeast China. The city doesn't have much to offer in terms of tourism but this is my home away from home. Tianjin people are warm and friendly, the city is close to Beijing so its easy to get away if I want, and the food here is the best.
When I'm not teaching or preparing lessons (this doesnt actually consume too much of my time so I have loads of spare time) I spend all my time studying Chinese and Hindi.
Although my hometown is in Pennsylvania, I don't think I can really call any one place home. I feel connected to everyplace that I go.
My current interests include: exploring backstreets, eating strange meats on sticks, battling the cockroaches in my apartment, practicing my chinese with every person I meet on the street, and pointing out lao wai's (westerners).
After being in China for so long, I, like the Chinese, can't help but stare and oogle at other foreigners. ...sometimes I forget that I too am foreign to this place.
Did I mention that I grew up on a farm? My family is from Spring Mills, Pennsylvania in the USA. The area is so beautiful, calm, and remote. Although I'm happy where I am, I think of home everyday and miss it dearly.
I have a degree in French, only God knows why.
I studied/lived/worked in Lille.
I do love the language and the friends I have made in France are dear to me still, that goes without saying.
But I'm living in China and plan to spend some time in back in India and the Middle East. So, why did I study French and not Chinese? I have no clue. But someday, my French will come in handy, and then all those years of studying will have paid off..........but I have no idea when or where that's going to be. Probably not here in China :)
So I'd like to see how many languages I can learn at once until my head explodes...
Current endeavors: I have just started to study Arabic and Hindi.....please help me!!! I learn languages quickly but it's no fun to just look up words and use them to have a conversation with myself!
!!!Everyone, check out this website Couchsurfing.com It's an interesting site where you can find people all of the world who are willing to let you into their homes for a night or two...maybe more, as you're traveling or just passing through the area. You can post your own profile and host traveler or just meet up for a drink or a tour around town. I think it's a great idea!
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 59 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 12 Countries
- 19 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- linwei66 and zephyrgurl108 are now friends.
- Commented on sdq's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Oh the Places You'll Go!"
- Wrote a Review Pondi Sunday market in Pondicherry Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pondi"
- created a Pondicherry Travel Page "Pondi"
- Posted in Travel Tianjin Forum "RE: RE: development,..."
Top 10 Pages
- China Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Tianjin Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Beijing Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Lille Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Yangshuo Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Brugge Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Shenzhen Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Quebec Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Cologne Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos