"Oh the Places You'll Go!" linwei66's Profile

Life in the Middle Kingdom

I am an ESL teacher in China. Duties include nstilling my mother tongue into the impressionable minds of Chinese youth and teaching my "pennsylvania hua" to my adult classes.

I live in Tianjin, a large port city in northeast China. The city doesn't have much to offer in terms of tourism but this is my home away from home. Tianjin people are warm and friendly, the city is close to Beijing so its easy to get away if I want, and the food here is the best.

When I'm not teaching or preparing lessons (this doesnt actually consume too much of my time so I have loads of spare time) I spend all my time studying Chinese and Hindi.

A Bit About Myself

Although my hometown is in Pennsylvania, I don't think I can really call any one place home. I feel connected to everyplace that I go.

My current interests include: exploring backstreets, eating strange meats on sticks, battling the cockroaches in my apartment, practicing my chinese with every person I meet on the street, and pointing out lao wai's (westerners).

After being in China for so long, I, like the Chinese, can't help but stare and oogle at other foreigners. ...sometimes I forget that I too am foreign to this place.

Home Sweet Home

Did I mention that I grew up on a farm? My family is from Spring Mills, Pennsylvania in the USA. The area is so beautiful, calm, and remote. Although I'm happy where I am, I think of home everyday and miss it dearly.

Parlez-vous Franglais?

I have a degree in French, only God knows why.
I studied/lived/worked in Lille.
I do love the language and the friends I have made in France are dear to me still, that goes without saying.

But I'm living in China and plan to spend some time in back in India and the Middle East. So, why did I study French and not Chinese? I have no clue. But someday, my French will come in handy, and then all those years of studying will have paid off..........but I have no idea when or where that's going to be. Probably not here in China :)

So I'd like to see how many languages I can learn at once until my head explodes...

Current endeavors: I have just started to study Arabic and Hindi.....please help me!!! I learn languages quickly but it's no fun to just look up words and use them to have a conversation with myself!

!!!Everyone, check out this website Couchsurfing.com It's an interesting site where you can find people all of the world who are willing to let you into their homes for a night or two...maybe more, as you're traveling or just passing through the area. You can post your own profile and host traveler or just meet up for a drink or a tour around town. I think it's a great idea!

• Intro Updated Apr 18, 2007

• Swades's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM

happy new year!! wish your dream come true.. smile..Vivek

• zephyrgurl108's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 8:43 AM

hi lyndsey! happy birthday! hope you have a great one. greetings from shenzhen.

• roamingpaddy's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 3:08 AM

Wishing that you have a very pleasing and satisfying birthday this day Lyndsey!

• sdq's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Yeah ! My farm house is really great hope if you ever visit Pakistan I'll take you there and to other historical places, take care.

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Hi.. did u couchsurf? Were you in hyd?

• perseushermes's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 7:57 AM

Christmas Wishes to you. Happy Holidays and a New Year 2007.

• nihaochina's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 6:51 PM

Haha, Yes I know this cute guy Gary!actually while I saw your page, I was wondering if you are one of his friends! and I am right! Good luck with everything in TJ.

• Kaynisa's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 12:00 PM

Hello there...Happy birthday to you♫ Happy birthday to you♫♫ Happy birthday to You ♫ Happy birthday to you♫♫ Greetings from Malaysia. Have a good one, Cheers ~~K~~

• lina112's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 6:37 AM

Happy Birthday. Greetings from Spain.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 1:13 AM

Happy Birthday and greetings from Poland.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
linwei66's Profile Photo

linwei66

“My thought is a tender leaf that sways in every direction and finds pleasure in its swaying.”

Real Name