"Ahlan" Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat by peaceness98

Muscat Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 1,175 photos

Welcome to Muscat

Muscat is the capital of the Sultanate of Oman, a 5,000 year old country in the heart of the Arabian desert-
Although Muscat is turning into a city day by day, it has preserved its Arabic and Islamic sense.

It also has some leftover forts from the days of the Portoguese era (1500's)..

but enough of that, cuz you can find all this historical info on the web:

If you're visiting Oman, make sure you don't just stick in the city. Oman is a big country and every place is Unique- you'll get bored otherwise. If you're ever in Oman, you must visit:

- Al Jabal Al Akhdar (High mountains in the Interior- was a ground of tribal uproar against the British presence around the 1940's)- requires permit

- Majlis Al Jinn (literal translation: Hall of Genies) - for those who like caves, adventures and climbing

- Dhofar- down south closer to Yemen. Green with Monsoon rains in the summer when everywhere else is a frying pan.
As a matter of fact, I think I'll make a special page of Dhofar since that's where my paternal ancestors come from. Keep watching that space!

- Sur: home of the sealords of Arabia. Lovely doors carved of the best wood on almost all houses- Visit the free museum with lots of olden day pictures and stuff used back before the oil-money in the local Soccer Staduim, ask your concierge about it.

- Al Nahar Resort: On your way to Sur, this cheap and not well advertised for resport is a nice place to spend one nite in. Cute, with a collection of animals and bedioun ambience.

- Ras Al Jenz: while in Sur, go turtle watching. There's a new hotel/motel there nowadays, and people fly in from all over to witness the turtle hatching season.

- Wadi Shaab: On your drive to Sur, try going through the Quriyat coastline, it's a beautiful 5 hour drive. Wadi Shaab is somewhat in the middle, and you'll have tto park your car and walk for around 50 mins to reach the best spot (where you can swim in a spring the middle of the mountains)

- Wadi Bani Khalid: You can also go there on your way to Sur. You won't believe this water spring is the middle of the dessert.

- Rimal Bani Wahiba: Go camping there. Everyone seems to come back happy.

• Pros:clean, a city: has most everything you might need, friendly people, beautiful beaches
  • Cons:unless you've properly planned your trip or know someone here, you'll feel lost and bored
  • In a nutshell:come with a fun group, plan your trip in advance and go beyond the inner skirts of the city. Oh, and unless you want fry an egg on the sidewalk, avoid the summer season
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2004

• Dec 9, 2008 at 7:37 AM

Dear Sir, I am a silver jeweler from Sri Lanka. And I make beautiful hand-made silver ethnic jewelery. So if you can provide me your e-mail address I would be able to send you some pictures for export purpose.Thank you ... Mohamed Faiz.

• May 21, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Not Omani fast food (thank goodness !). It is Pizza Express menu. New and crowded with Omanis. Food is mainly Pizza Express as I know and love it (apart from some American pizzas - for me Italian only !). No Peroni beer but that's okay !

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Thanks for YC. You have nice pictures from your region. I have been to Jordan (Amman, Petra) and Libya on conferences but without camera and I did not know how to use C at that time. I can learn a lot from your pictures. Have a good day.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM

You have been to some amazing places id love to see. Oman is on my list, after visiting Dubai this year id love to go to Oman. Take care, Stacey x

• grets's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2007 at 3:38 AM

Thanks for some very useful tips. We have 7 hours in Muscat airport in October and I want to leave the airport and experience some Omani life.

• norain's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM

thanks for tips :)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 12:45 PM

nice tips ; I will be tere in a few weeks; hope to find the ambience you describe

• swings's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2006 at 7:35 AM

Thanks for all the great tips about Muscat! We're going there in a couple of weeks, so we'll be sure to check some of them out... w

• Nov 16, 2005 at 10:22 PM

Peacness your Muscat tips are wonderful and benificial. I was here in Muscat in July 05 and again planning in Dec 05.

• Levente_D's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 4:08 PM

Very nice pages with great info! It gives all the basic info needed for somebody who wants/has to go Oman ... I just missed the nightlife part ;-)

peaceness98