"Ahlan" Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat by peaceness98
Muscat Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 1,175 photos
Muscat is the capital of the Sultanate of Oman, a 5,000 year old country in the heart of the Arabian desert-
Although Muscat is turning into a city day by day, it has preserved its Arabic and Islamic sense.
It also has some leftover forts from the days of the Portoguese era (1500's)..
but enough of that, cuz you can find all this historical info on the web:
If you're visiting Oman, make sure you don't just stick in the city. Oman is a big country and every place is Unique- you'll get bored otherwise. If you're ever in Oman, you must visit:
- Al Jabal Al Akhdar (High mountains in the Interior- was a ground of tribal uproar against the British presence around the 1940's)- requires permit
- Majlis Al Jinn (literal translation: Hall of Genies) - for those who like caves, adventures and climbing
- Dhofar- down south closer to Yemen. Green with Monsoon rains in the summer when everywhere else is a frying pan.
As a matter of fact, I think I'll make a special page of Dhofar since that's where my paternal ancestors come from. Keep watching that space!
- Sur: home of the sealords of Arabia. Lovely doors carved of the best wood on almost all houses- Visit the free museum with lots of olden day pictures and stuff used back before the oil-money in the local Soccer Staduim, ask your concierge about it.
- Al Nahar Resort: On your way to Sur, this cheap and not well advertised for resport is a nice place to spend one nite in. Cute, with a collection of animals and bedioun ambience.
- Ras Al Jenz: while in Sur, go turtle watching. There's a new hotel/motel there nowadays, and people fly in from all over to witness the turtle hatching season.
- Wadi Shaab: On your drive to Sur, try going through the Quriyat coastline, it's a beautiful 5 hour drive. Wadi Shaab is somewhat in the middle, and you'll have tto park your car and walk for around 50 mins to reach the best spot (where you can swim in a spring the middle of the mountains)
- Wadi Bani Khalid: You can also go there on your way to Sur. You won't believe this water spring is the middle of the dessert.
- Rimal Bani Wahiba: Go camping there. Everyone seems to come back happy.
- Pros:clean, a city: has most everything you might need, friendly people, beautiful beaches
- Cons:unless you've properly planned your trip or know someone here, you'll feel lost and bored
- In a nutshell:come with a fun group, plan your trip in advance and go beyond the inner skirts of the city. Oh, and unless you want fry an egg on the sidewalk, avoid the summer season
Amazingly delicious bbq's here my favourite (as mentioned in local restaurant tip) is the Shwaa.. meat that's spiced up... more travel advice
Ladies can get their hands and feet decorated by Henna in most beauty salons for an average of 3 rials for hands, 5 for... more travel advice
- See All Fish Market
- See All Qurum Beach House Hotel
- See All Wahiba Sands (Out of Muscat)
- See All Jet Skiing
peaceness98's Related Pages
Muscat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Muscat - An Amazing Arabic Port City"
- "Muscat - مسقط"
- "Muscat, A Beautiful Lush Green"
- "the road to muscat"
- "MUSCAT - OMAN - THE LAND OF FRANKENCENSE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muscat
- Hotels in Muscat
- Transportation in Muscat
- Nightlife in Muscat
- Restaurants in Muscat
- Shopping in Muscat
- Warnings and Dangers in Muscat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muscat
- 47 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Muscat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muscat
Photos in MuscatSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 47 reviews, 41 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Beirut Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Geneva Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évian-les-Bains Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Cairo Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Houston Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Anton am Arlberg Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos