"Beautiful Belmopan" Belmopan by africaking
Belmopan Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 61 photos
Belmopan has a variety of cultures living within it's city and suburbs, although it is small in comparison to Belize City it certainly is a nice change.
Belmopan is the geographical centre of Belize and so was a good choice to place a capital city, the reason Belmopan even exists is for the simple fact that it's former capital Belize City was destroyed by hurricane Hattie in 1961.
Belize City today is alive and well and bustling with people and cars, Belmopan however has not taken off as well as expected as most people still prefer to do business within the former capital.
Belmopan is not the place for a shopper as there are very few shops within the "city" but it is the place to be if you need to speak to your embassy, most countries embassies are located within Belmopan and are all within easy walking distance.
As you walk around you may notice the Mexican embassy, all the locals call it "The Bunker" as it looks like an under ground war bunker, do they know something the Belizeans don't?
- Pros:Peaceful, relaxing, friendly, ebassies
- Cons:small, no shopping trips
- In a nutshell:The quietest capital city in the world
africaking's Related Pages
Belmopan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belmopan - an Interesting Area!"
- "MOPAN RIVER RESORT across from Benque Viejo in Cay"
- "Beautiful Belmopan"
- "Wonderful place"
- "Belmopan Page"
- "Bonita17's new Belmopan Page"
- "belmopan ...was that the city?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belmopan
- Hotels in Belmopan
- Transportation in Belmopan
- Nightlife in Belmopan
- Restaurants in Belmopan
- Shopping in Belmopan
- Warnings and Dangers in Belmopan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belmopan
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Belmopan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belmopan
Top 10 Pages
- South Africa Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Belize Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gibraltar Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Portugal Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Spain Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Morocco Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Swaziland Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Manchester Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos