"Pompeii" Pompeii by cinthya_in_victoria

Pompeii Travel Guide: 991 reviews and 2,751 photos

Pompeii and the Vesubius

When I was 7 years old, my mother bought a book of the greatest natural desasters of all time, and the history of Pompeii was there of course.

At that age I was impressed by the pictures of the people killed by the eruption of the Mount Vesubius and the horrors of their last day so, since then, one of my goals was to visit the ruins one day when I grew up.

Well... that dream finally came true and all I can say is that I am overwhelmed by the things I saw, I couldn't avoid crying when I put a foot on its streets and when I saw the plaster casts of the people.. very, very, very touching.

But what happened in Pompeii??

Pompeii was buried and destroyed by the eruption of the Mount Vesuvius on August 24th of the year 79 AD. After hundreds of years later, it was accidentally rediscovered in 1748; its excavation has provided great information into the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire.
I highly recommend you to watch the documentary called 'Pompeii: The last day' by the BBC.

This is another UNESCO World Heritage Site and this is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Italy. I highly recommend you to visit it and take part of a place frozen in time.

• In a nutshell:A place frozen in time
  • Last visit to Pompeii: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2009

cinthya_in_victoria

“How many kms are between you and the place of your dreams?”

Badges & Stats in Pompeii

Have you been to Pompeii?

Latest Activity in Pompeii