"Port Vila - Vanuatu" Top 5 Page for this destination Vanuatu by lou31

Vanuatu Travel Guide: 591 reviews and 1,013 photos

I visited this lovely place while on a Pacific Sky cruise. Unfortuneately we only spent the day here but we were blessed with gorgious weather. I was very taken with the attitude of the local people. They seemed to be genuinely happy to see us and I felt quite safe while I was there. We only got to see Port Vila and the surrounding countryside - I wish I had had more time as there was so much more to see and do.

Vanuatu somehow seems like it is lost in time. Modern enough for todays tourists but still retaining a certain primitive and carefree feel to it. It is the kind of place you want to come back to. A perfect destination for a honeymoon or holiday in the sun. This page is still under construction so call back later for more pics and info.

• Pros:Unspoilt beauty.
  • Cons:Watch out for the cyclone season.
  • In a nutshell:Perfect place for sun, sand and relaxation.
  • Last visit to Vanuatu: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2005

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Looks such a beautiful place to visit. I loved the beach scenes and your photo of the locals in particular - and really comprehensive shopping tips too. Another one for the wish list ;)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 9:26 AM

I visited Vanuatu about 25 years ago - doesn't sound like is has changed much!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Sounds like American / Western Samoa. They permit drinking while driving and have Kava and the women rule the roosts! That said, don't know if I have to go Vanuatu but I would if permitted a free ticket! GREAT TIPS!!!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM

have enjoyed the tour and info on Vanuatu thanks - have yet to travel around the Pacific - about time I did!

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2007 at 3:35 AM

What a fabulous tip on Mystery Island. It just makes me want to go there right now:-)

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Nice tips - it's on my list of places to visit! We have been on the Pacific Sky, but not when it visited here!

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Vanuatu is really relaxing I spent a week at Hideaway Island a few years back.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Mystery Island looks like a lovely place to spend a day. The South Pacific just gives you that special feeling. Glad you got to go on that cruise.

• SanguiniA's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Huh, I think that if I ever get married and take my future husband to Vanuatu he would not like to know about the husband murders!!!! :-) Interesting page, apart from snow, I like little tropical islands :-)

• Jun 3, 2006 at 6:27 AM

Hi Louise, sounds exciting to take a tour with a local. I thought Cava was a type of "champagne" which I have had no ill effects from drinking, I guess the Cava being sold was not quite the same thing. Regards Martin

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in Vanuatu

Have you been to Vanuatu?

Latest Activity in Vanuatu