"Bourton...four villages in one." Top 5 Page for this destination Bourton on the Water by lou31

Bourton on the Water Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 196 photos

The miniature village.

Apart from wanting to see this pretty Cotswold village I came to Bourton with a quest to see it's famous miniature village.

Situated behind the Old New Inn it really is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and design. I have a fascination for anything miniature and this really captivated me. My only regret was that because of time I could only stay a short while.
I have more pics and info in my tips.

These pages on Bourton are more like pages of the model village, but I couldn't help it.

There are actually four villages you see. Bourton proper. Then the model village and then a model of the model and inside it yet another!

A little bit of history...

The name Bourton comes from the Saxon word BURGH which means a fort or camp and TON which means a village or settlement. So it's name means 'the village beside the camp'. There is evidence of far earlier settlements in this part of the Cotswolds. Stone Age and Bronze Age burial mounds are common throughout the area. On the northern edge of the village is the sight of a Stone Age encampment, which was subsequently occupied by later civilisations. Iron Age currency bars from around 300 BC were found there during excavations carried out in the last century. They are now reside in the British Museum.

A pretty village...

Now apart from the model village Bourton is very pretty. It had this nice little stream running down beside the main street complete with bridges. There were loads of shops and eateries as well...what more could you want? Unfortuneately my bus had to leave and I never got to see very much of the place.

• Pros:A typical Cotswold village complete with scenic river.
  • Cons:Can't think of any one.
  • In a nutshell:A nice place to spend a day.
  • Last visit to Bourton on the Water: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2006

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Hi Lou, I took a friend from Sydney when she was over a few years back and we greatly enjoyed the model village too. cute pics here.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Oh wow! I'm definately going to visit this place....when I get to Europe! :o) Hugs xx

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 7:00 AM

The model village was so sweet--I can just imagine the number of hours and attention to detail its construction required! Regards from Texas...

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2006 at 11:59 PM

Lovely place, like all Cotswolds villages. The model village is so cute.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 12:43 PM

Nice pics and tips. Looking for ideas to show a friend around the Cotswolds.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 12:03 PM

I'll try and fill in some gaps for you, I'm booked in already. Good enthusiasm

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 4:39 PM

Gorgeous little town. Nice pics.

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in Bourton on the Water

Have you been to Bourton on the Water?

Latest Activity in Bourton on the Water