"Bourton...four villages in one." Top 5 Page for this destination Bourton on the Water by lou31
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 216 photos
Apart from wanting to see this pretty Cotswold village I came to Bourton with a quest to see it's famous miniature village.
Situated behind the Old New Inn it really is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and design. I have a fascination for anything miniature and this really captivated me. My only regret was that because of time I could only stay a short while.
I have more pics and info in my tips.
These pages on Bourton are more like pages of the model village, but I couldn't help it.
There are actually four villages you see. Bourton proper. Then the model village and then a model of the model and inside it yet another!
The name Bourton comes from the Saxon word BURGH which means a fort or camp and TON which means a village or settlement. So it's name means 'the village beside the camp'. There is evidence of far earlier settlements in this part of the Cotswolds. Stone Age and Bronze Age burial mounds are common throughout the area. On the northern edge of the village is the sight of a Stone Age encampment, which was subsequently occupied by later civilisations. Iron Age currency bars from around 300 BC were found there during excavations carried out in the last century. They are now reside in the British Museum.
Now apart from the model village Bourton is very pretty. It had this nice little stream running down beside the main street complete with bridges. There were loads of shops and eateries as well...what more could you want? Unfortuneately my bus had to leave and I never got to see very much of the place.
- Pros:A typical Cotswold village complete with scenic river.
- Cons:Can't think of any one.
- In a nutshell:A nice place to spend a day.
Oh I wish I had had more time! There were shops everywhere...Christmas ones, Confectionery ones, Antique ones...all... more travel advice
I found a great little shop selling lots and lots of china and homewares. It wasn't a very expensive shop and the china... more travel advice
lou31's Related Pages
Bourton on the Water Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Classic Cotswolds"
- "Beautiful Bourton"
- "Bourton...four villages in one."
- "A very pretty place......."
- "Bourton on the Water"
- "Roeffie's Bourton on the Water Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourton on the Water
- Hotels in Bourton on the Water
- Transportation in Bourton on the Water
- Restaurants in Bourton on the Water
- Shopping in Bourton on the Water
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourton on the Water
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourton on the Water
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bourton on the Water?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourton on the Water
- Posted in Travel United Kingdom Forum "Self Contained Cottages"
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Bourton on the Water travel pages
- updated a Bourton on the Water Travel Page "Bourton...four villages in one."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bourton...four villages in one."
- Wrote a Review Shops galore! in Bourton on the Water Shopping
Photos in Bourton on the WaterSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackay Intro, 64 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- York Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos