"An old market town with a Medieval theme." Henley in Arden by lou31

Henley in Arden Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 31 photos

Old pubs and buildings

We had passed through Henley with the tour on our way to Stratford and from the little I saw through the window I knew I had to come back and see more.

It is about 12 miles from Stratford and easily accessed by either bus or train. I spent the most part of a day there and really enjoyed my trip.

Henley is an ancient old Market Town and it's High Street is a fine example of a medieval village street. A mixture of plaster, red brick and black and white half timbered houses and pubs takes you back in time.

So much to see

I found myself just wandering up and down the High Street taking it all in. If it hadn't been for the cars you'd swear you were back in the 1500's.

I kept finding more and more interesting places. Like a little laneway which led into a small ancient grave yard. Just tucked in behind an old church. It was intriguing!

And I had the best meal I was to enjoy throughout my whole UK trip.

Clean and colourful

The overall appearance of the village was clean and colourful. Obviously the locals take pride in their town.
I found little laneways and quirky places all over.

• Pros:Medieval charm...a real " back in time " experience.
  • Cons:I can't really think of any!
  • In a nutshell:A place that will draw you back.
  • Last visit to Henley in Arden: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2005

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Despite years living in England I've never heard of this gem! Came to see your Padstow page and got stuck on this one, haha.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 5:30 AM

Beautiful photos of this quaint village! As you say, it is such a pleasure wandering around old places like this, just enjoying the architecture and atmosphere. Ah, the English pubs - and your meal does look delicious!!

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2005 at 10:51 AM

A place I have not seen myself. It looks really lovely, so will go on my list. Great Photos.f

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 11:56 AM

The Black Swan it is then! Enticing pages.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 6:24 AM

Awe Lou, those buildings are sooo gorgeous!! I would be takeing heaps of lovely shots just like you if I was there!! Oh and what flash town name there :o) Cheers, Ann ;o)

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 3:01 AM

I love England but have tnot seen this amazing place : ( What a lovely medieval houses, it's really a great place to be visited. Great page.

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in Henley in Arden

Have you been to Henley in Arden?