"Ironbridge...A pretty village." Ironbridge by lou31
Ironbridge Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 177 photos
It's hard to conceive that such a pretty place could have such a harsh name. This little village was a delight to visit. Unfortuneately when we arrived for a stop early on a Sunday morning all the shops and businesses were shut.
Ironbridge is named after the 30m cast iron bridge that spans the Severn River. This bridge was built by Abraham Darby III in 1779.
His grandfather Abraham Darby I was the first person to perfect the technique of smelting Iron with Coke. Britain was never to be the same again.
There are more than a few museums in and around Ironbridge, dedicated to the history of the town and it's industrial significance. Ironbridge draws engineering and steel work enthusiasts from all over the world.
From the little I saw of it ,Ironbridge is now on my 'Places to see again' list.
It was quiet and restful but due to it's many museums and attractions it would be an interesting and beautiful place to spend some time.
Blist Hill is a popular museum / theme park. The village takes you back in time to how things were in the 1700's. There is even a bank where you can change your money to the old currency, then and you can use it to purchase items at the shops. Period costumes and horse drawn vehicles add to the atmosphere...Yes I must go back!
- Pros:Significant to steel work enthusiasts, very picturesque and quiet.
- Cons:Can't think of any!
- In a nutshell:Just a lovely place to visit.
lou31's Related Pages
Ironbridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ironbridge: Cradle of the Industrial Revolution"
- "Ironbridge - Birthplace of Industry"
- "Ironbridge Gorge"
- "Ironbridge - Jewel in the Midlands"
- "Cast Iron Crossing"
- "Ironbridge...A pretty village."
- "An Iron Bridge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ironbridge
- Hotels in Ironbridge
- Restaurants in Ironbridge
- Shopping in Ironbridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ironbridge
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Ironbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ironbridge
Photos in IronbridgeSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackay Intro, 64 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- York Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos