"London - "Crikey it's big!"" London by lou31

London Travel Guide: 23,494 reviews and 49,593 photos

What do I do first?!

Well I finally got there! It took 25 hours of travelling but once we landed [ 5.45 am ] I forgot the tiredness - there was just so much to see and do. And of course I wanted to do it all at once!.....Yeah right!
Going through immigration and customs was nothing more than stepping off the plane and walking straight through! No line ups or waiting! I was out into the arrivals area within 45 mins and that included waiting for my luggage.
First stop was a cigarette! Next a quick trip to the washrooms and then I checked in with Hotel Link who were to take me to my hotel. That was easy and in only half an hour we were on our way. I arrived at the hotel at 7.45 and once checked in I was out in the streets by 8.30.
I remember looking around thinking..."Wow. This is it. I'm in London!" Quite a buzz really and I went on to have a great day! Jet lag and all!

Getting around

All up I spent three and a half days in London. Of course I only touched the surface but still went to most of the places on my list.
I conquered the "Tube" and managed to not to get lost on the buses. I never felt frightened while walking around and didn't have one bad experience. All things considered I have very fond memories of London. For such a huge place it is surprisingly easy to get around and I always found someone to help me if I was not sure of things.

Not all bricks and concrete

I was surprised at the beauty I found in the streets. It was not all bricks and concrete. There was always a few trees and flowers somewhere. And London had colour. At least that's the way I saw it. I had expexted to find grey drabness everywhere and it was nice to see gardens and trees even in the most busiest streets. Of course I visited in Spring which accounted for the greenness though I'm sure London still has it's beauty all year round.

• Pros:Always something to see and do. Easy to get around.
  • Cons:Lots of foreigners living in London. Where are the Pommies?
  • In a nutshell:An exciting and interesting city. Big and beautiful!
  • Last visit to London: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2005

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed your pages here Lou :o) Funny, I thought London would be all bricks & concrete until I read your write up. Oh and I love your Trafalgar Pic!...minus loads of pidgeons ;o) Hugs xx

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM

I've been to London for a few short visits and still have so much to see - the markets you describe so well, for example.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Am always keen to read visitors london pages :-) now smoking inside anywhere is very difficult I'm not a smoker but I can see you point that there are a lack of bins to put butts out.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Did you know that VT has a Buckingham Palace page? We arrived in London during a transit strike and used a tour bus to get to our hotel. Worth it!!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 7:41 AM

20p for a cup of tea guv ?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 3:38 AM

Great tips &coverage of your visit!The best bus from my house into the city goes to Trafalgar Sq so im around there a lot luckily! from there the city centre&the parks - sure is beautiful - in all weather!yes say no to beggars!but all the parks have loos!

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 2:24 AM

Hi Louise, thanks for the comments on Dumfires. Just got back from London, agree with you about the parks and green space.

• RWFAN's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Great tip!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Hello Louise, its been ages since i visided this page so i decided to read it again, i still rate it as one of the best london pages

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Louise - thanks for visiting my Dublin page! I enjoyed your London tips as well!

lou31 Visits Here Frequently!

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in London