"It couldn't possibly get better than this!" Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry by lou31

Pitlochry Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 192 photos

Best little village in Perthshire

I chose Pitlochry as a destination by chance. Found it on the internet and booked myself 4 nights accomodation. I couldn't have picked a better place.
My idea was to just stay somewhere in Scotland for 3 days to really get the feel of what this country is like. And Pitlochry had it all!
A picturesque village, friendly people, rich scenic farming land, forrests and a lovely river. My photos turned out so well. I hope you enjoy them. None of them have been touched up in anyway.
This place really captivated me. I just enjoyed my stay so much...I didn't want to leave!

From farmland to forests.

The countryside around Pitlochry is truly lovely. The village lies in a valley with rich farming lands on one side and timbered forests on the other. Hiking is a popular activity and there are many walks to choose from. You will get some stunning shots from either side of the valley. All around the village there are country roads to explore and enjoy.

The village itself.

Pitlochry is in Perthshire and lies on the banks of the river Tummel. With a population of roughly 3,000 it is the ideal destination for those wanting to see real Scottish countryside and forrests.
With historic Blair Castle and Queens View just up the road and having Scotland smallest whiskey distillery Pitlochry is worth a visit. The festival theatre is very popular and the town itself has excellent access to the highlands.
Though it is suppose to be a touristy place I didn't feel the place crowded. At least there were lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. The main street was a nice place to stroll along especially in the evenings. And it's not a small place either. It was larger than I had thought. As you wander around the little roads and streets there are small parks, delightful cottages and restaurants tucked away in unlikely places. I found it to be a bit of an adventure...you never knew what you'd find around the next corner.

• Pros:The quintessential Scottish village. Stunning countryside and friendly people.
  • Cons:Best in Spring and Summer.
  • In a nutshell:It represented everything I had wanted in a Scottish experience.
  • Last visit to Pitlochry: May 2005
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2006

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Something just so lovely about Scotland - many things actually!bet you are looking forward to yr rtn visit!Have been up here but meant to rtn for the Walking weeks they have here-getting inspired again..!Think yr cow pic shld be here on yr P mainpg!

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Whisky and walks

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2007 at 2:25 AM

was back to enjoy your page - been there often and it is a lovely stop on a trip through Scotland

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 2:55 AM

What a lovely page, thanks for sharing with us ;-)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Hi Lou Thanks for the memories, we took a day trip from Fyfe in 1993, got to the Whisky distillery as it closed for day , Blair castle was fantastic.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Wow, great page :) My 2nd home is well represented here :) My better half of four years lives here and I cant get enough of the place, 3 months and counting , great page :) John

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2006 at 4:34 AM

thanks for your comment on my Dublin page! I love it there too! :) This page brings back good memories of Pitlochry for me, lovely town and lots to see!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 11:42 AM

How enticing are those pics! Dunfallandy and Pitlochry here I come (in about a month actually!).

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 10:20 PM

Nice to come back to this page after I've visited -- wish I could have stayed longer -- I agree with you about the food prices !

• jag17's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 5:38 PM

Really nice page with beautiful pictures. I hope I have as many sunny days when I visit next month.

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in Pitlochry

Have you been to Pitlochry?

Latest Activity in Pitlochry