"A little piece of France" Nouméa by lou31

Nouméa Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 175 photos

Noumea

I spent a day exploring Noumea in January 2004 while on a Pacific Sky cruise. After the unspoilt beauty of our earlier ports of call I was at first a little disapointed with it.
However it soon became apparent that Noumea needs to be appreciated for what it is - a small city, much more developed and very different from the tranquil islands we had visited beforehand.

While touring around I saw lots of lovely buildings and houses and the views from the lookouts were quite stunning. I was warned by many that the people were generally rude and that shopping was expensive. However I found people to be relatively friendly - maybe I just got lucky! My biggest disapointment was that I didn't take enough money with me thinking I wouldnt be able to afford much. The prices were a little higher but not unaffordable. I would have picked up a few more gifts and things had I known this. It was a very picturesque place though I only saw a portion of it.
I have'nt finished with this page yet so call back another time!

• Pros:Nice place to visit - very French and quite pretty.
  • Cons:A little on the expensive side.
  • In a nutshell:A little piece of tropical France.
  • Last visit to Nouméa: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2004

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 6:27 AM

I never knew anything about Noumea, so I was surprised to see so many tall buildings. Looks like a nice little city.

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2004 at 5:55 PM

Nice page so far! I think NC would be very similar to Vanuatu - on cruise ship day the prices would be triple the normal price. We didn't buy a thing in Vanuatu on cruise ship day because of that...hehe! ;)

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in Nouméa