"Ile des Pins" Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins by lou31
Île des Pins Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 85 photos
I visited this lovely island in January 2004 via the cruise ship Pacific Sky. Of the four places we stopped at this was my favourite. The whole place [or what I saw of it ] was straight out of a travel brochure. The water was literally crystal clear and the most vivid shades of aqua and turquoise. White sandy beaches and palm trees........did I mention the pine trees? Not sure what sort but very impressive. The bays were beautiful to swim in or you could just lie on the beach and sunbake. I wish I had taken snorkels, it seemed every second person had a pair! Kuto bay was just lovely, dotted with boats and very calm. You could go for a sail on one of the locally crafted cattamarans for just a $2 tip and I highly recommend it. More photos coming soon.
The local women came down and set up stalls under the pine trees. They had many locally made dishes for sale. Some were chicken and I also saw a vegetable dish. I wasn't game to try them but many did. The aroma was very tempting. They also had fruits for sale I bought a piece of red paw paw for $2 - it was delicious! I also bought a very nice sarong at a stall near the jetty for $20.
We spent our time just walking around enjoying the views and taking a dip or two. There were no shops to be seen where we were so it all had a nice serene feel to it. With all that beautiful water we were content to just paddle away or soak up the sun.
- Pros:The colour of that water!! and the lovely beaches and lagoons were unlike anything I had seen before.....and I live on the Queensland coast just off the Great Barrier Reef!!
- Cons:This place is very expensive. I paid $15 for a bowl of hot chips at a resort. I was hungry!!
- In a nutshell:The epitomy of a 'Tropical Paradise'
Just as you get off the jetty there is a cute little stall selling sarongs. The French lady is very friendly and the... more travel advice
Restaurants will be hard to find and very expensive. I wondered into a beach side resort and paid $15 for a bowl of hot... more travel advice
lou31's Related Pages
Île des Pins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Isle of Pines: Paradise with a Difference"
- "The Isle Of Pines"
- "The Isle of Pines - A Jewel of the South Pacific."
- "Isle of Pines"
- "Ile des Pins"
- "Ile des Pins, New Caledonia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île des Pins
- Hotels in Île des Pins
- Transportation in Île des Pins
- Restaurants in Île des Pins
- Shopping in Île des Pins
- Warnings and Dangers in Île des Pins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île des Pins
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Île des Pins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île des Pins
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackay Intro, 64 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- York Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos