"Ile des Pins" Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins by lou31

Île des Pins Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 85 photos

The water was unbelievable!

I visited this lovely island in January 2004 via the cruise ship Pacific Sky. Of the four places we stopped at this was my favourite. The whole place [or what I saw of it ] was straight out of a travel brochure. The water was literally crystal clear and the most vivid shades of aqua and turquoise. White sandy beaches and palm trees........did I mention the pine trees? Not sure what sort but very impressive. The bays were beautiful to swim in or you could just lie on the beach and sunbake. I wish I had taken snorkels, it seemed every second person had a pair! Kuto bay was just lovely, dotted with boats and very calm. You could go for a sail on one of the locally crafted cattamarans for just a $2 tip and I highly recommend it. More photos coming soon.

The local women came down and set up stalls under the pine trees. They had many locally made dishes for sale. Some were chicken and I also saw a vegetable dish. I wasn't game to try them but many did. The aroma was very tempting. They also had fruits for sale I bought a piece of red paw paw for $2 - it was delicious! I also bought a very nice sarong at a stall near the jetty for $20.

We spent our time just walking around enjoying the views and taking a dip or two. There were no shops to be seen where we were so it all had a nice serene feel to it. With all that beautiful water we were content to just paddle away or soak up the sun.

• Pros:The colour of that water!! and the lovely beaches and lagoons were unlike anything I had seen before.....and I live on the Queensland coast just off the Great Barrier Reef!!
  • Cons:This place is very expensive. I paid $15 for a bowl of hot chips at a resort. I was hungry!!
  • In a nutshell:The epitomy of a 'Tropical Paradise'
  • Last visit to Île des Pins: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2005

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2008 at 6:55 AM

What a paradise. They don't have rubbish bins at London's airports either, but it's to prevent terrorists leaving bombs in them.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 8:51 AM

My goodness, it certainly looks beautiful but at such a price!!!!! Thanks for comment on Lake District.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Looks like a beautiful tropical paradise. Pretty relaxing too.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 1:44 AM

Sounds like the Caribbean of the South Pacific :) Ah, just love those colours of the sea! But paying 15$ for a bowl of hot chips... it's a robbery! :)

• Jun 21, 2006 at 9:04 PM

ahhhh to be there now, instead of this freezing cold place.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 12:33 AM

Looks a very idealic destination, the sea is beautiful! Lovely page (~_~)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 2:27 AM

That water does look absolutely beautiful. Would love to bring my girls here one day, but I'll wait till mon petit peu Francais (& theirs - they are learning it too) improves considerably. A Bientot Louise!

• Mar 7, 2005 at 12:56 PM

It looks gorgeous. Forgive my ignorance, but where is it?

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 12:19 AM

Minstrel74 is right! I can't believe there are only 3 of us here who have posted this locale! To this day, I can still sit and daydream about this unspoiled paradise......Lovely page!

• minstrel74's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 9:52 PM

I can't believe there are only three of us with a page on this spectacular destination! Your photos really capture the gorgeous turquoise color of the surrounding ocean. Very nice.

lou31

“'Life is not a dress rehearsal.......live it now!!"”

Badges & Stats in Île des Pins

Have you been to Île des Pins?

Latest Activity in Île des Pins